iPhone 5

Sixth iteration of Apple iPhone announced on September 12, 2012. Repair of this device is similar to the previous models, and requires screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

On what part of iPhone 5 is stored info about Apple ID

On what part of iPhone 5 is stored info about Apple ID, I want to know what chip, part if removed would remove all info about Apple ID (to get pass iCloud Lock).

Would changing Logic board (from iPhone without lock) remove problem?

I there any other way to unlock such iPhone?

Thank you!

If your phone is locked you either have a stolen phone or someone who has access to your account has locked your phone. At this point you'll need to go to the Apple Store with iron clad proof you are the owner of the phone for them to unlock it. Otherwise you should return the phone to the rightful owner.

by Dan

I asked because I wa thinking to buy one of those very cheap iPhone 5's from ebay that are locked from iCloud. My idea was to buy one that's locked and another unlocked logic board. Put it in and have working iPhone 5 for very little money. + I clould get one that's from verizon and has bad ESN(even cheaper) and use it here in Europe on GSM. Do you think changing logic board would fix problem?

by blagojevic

These are likely stolen units someone is selling, I would recommend you stay away from buying them.

by Dan

It is just and idea, I don't I'm going to do it. But still I'm verry intrsted if what I described above would work. You would help me a lot more if u can just answer. By the way if device is locked from iCloud that's NO WAY a sign it's been stolen. It happende to my friend he forgot pass for he's Apple ID and email inbox he used for it. So those thing do happen

by blagojevic

You should re-read what I said - I stated it was likely a stolen phone not that all locked phones are stolen as I also stated someone who had access to the account could lock your phone and I suppose if you fail to pay Apple for your iCloud account you will loose access to it as well. But that doesn't lock your phone only the server account and the access to the data on the server. Your friend has either twisted things around or has another problem. Your friend will need to visit Apple with phone in hand with proof he or she is the owner of the phone for them to unlock it. As for the eBay phones you can't prove you owned them so they are of little value as a phone. If they were stolen (most likely) you would have bought nothing but trouble.

by Dan

There is no point doing this. It will cost more than buying a legal one

The icloud lock information is tied to the phone's IMEI and stored on apple's server. You have to replace the baseband and the baseband flash memory. But doing this is exteremely difficult and will likely break the cryptographic pairing between chips, causing activation issues.

That's not true. I can get working iPhone 5 with locked iCLoud for 180$, and I can get logic board from broken iPhone that was activated for 50$. So that's 230$+ some work (I already have the right tools). I know how to change logic board, I did it before. IMEI is stored somewhere on logic board. right? So changing the board would change IMEI with activaed one? I don't need to change seperate chips, I'll chabge the whole logic board-Way Easier. I just want answer if changing logic board with locked ID with one that's activated will give me activated iPhone that's all.

by blagojevic

Only the logic board matters,the rest is not expensive and not related to security

by Tom Chai

The phones serial number won't match so it will be suspect. Many carriers are now tightening down as well as Apple (they require both IMEI numbers when exchanging logic boards for their database) to activate mismatched phones. While you may think your getting a good deal here all you're doing here is putting a spotlight on your self as someone who either stole or accepted a stolen iPhone (possible jail time).

by Dan

@Tom Chai So that means it would work? @Dan Suspect for who? I don't need any carrier to activate my phone, I'll get activated one. No way I'm put spotlight here where I am...

by blagojevic

I agree, 50$ for a not locked, functioning iphone 5 logic board is suspicious as !@#$. In China the trend is around 2000 CNY which is more than 300$. Even with that price, nobody guarantees the board is not taken from replaced phones or registered with icloud. Anything cheaper than that probably gets you into trouble

by Tom Chai

I have a brilliant solution but its not for the faint hearted or most likely the intelligent.

Get an unlocked iPhone and then get another locked iPhone, solder the unlocked chips off locked one and re-solder them on the unlocked one, now get other chips off unlocked iPhone and solder them on locked iPhone, WAIT.

Try again, get iPhone thats locked and get another thats unlocked now concentrate and stop messing around.

Desolder chips from perfectly good working iPhone 5 therefore breaking it and solder them on the other iPhone that is broken therefore making it unbroken.

Magic solution, pick up unlocked iPhone in left hand and now concentrate as this is very difficult part, pick up locked iPhone in right hand, put contents of left hand in right hand and contents of right hand in left hand now in left hand you have locked iPhone and in right hand you have unlocked iPhone.

(Some people are Otters, some people are Rocks)

Send more Otters, we have too many rocks now

by iRepairtinker1

nand flash+baseband proc+baseband mem = and you got working phone

just wondering did it work?

by mailthegirls

try it and you will see ) if you have years of expirience with resoldering chips of course. otherwise you never make it work, this is very complicated job

by planetrepairs

Basically brain surgery ;-}

by Dan

hi, those 3 chips that need to be changed, they have to be pre-programed right?

by Miguel Santos

They must be removed from working board and installed on the board that have icloud. You can not programm those chips myself.

by planetrepairs

Yes very possible in fact did it today. If its your first time working on an iphone, here is a little hint I wish someone told me 3 years ago. GET A PAIR OF 3X READING GLASSES from the dollar store. It will save you so much grief.

Anyway, tried to re-solder chips once to get my daughter a 4s, big pain in the a$%!. It does work though.

My opinion on Apple's Activation lock- It is scam on Apple's part. The majority of Activation locked phones are NOT stolen. Now ther are millions of worthless (unless you are tech saavy) phones and Apple has a reason to produce and sell more phones. Hundreds of people waste money on eBay everyday buying phones honestly and get stuck with a paper weight. Apple benefits in the end.

Solution- ONLY LOCK PHONES THAT ARE REPORTED TO POLICE AS STOLEN. Not every freakin phone with iCloud on it. Come on!!

Bro, if you read Russian here is some service http://digitalsphere.ru/services/1052032 (I am not affiliated with them, just interested in the same problem) check with them, there is also some part in English or you can use ggl translator.

There's sites out there that. An bypass iCloud activation and there's a way to find out at least the iphone owners email off of phone to ask them to remove iCloud from device. There simpler, easier, cheaper ways around it.

Apple controls the servers the ID is stored. You need to contact Apple not these fly by night scam artist all they are doing is taking your money.

by Dan

Dan i dont know how they do it but i know the guy who remove apple ID from iphones, he done already many iphones, so if he done this there is the way to do this. What itry to say there is nothing secure in this world and always on any security will be the way to brake through :)

by andrei orekhov

Smoke & mirrors - Sorry if you have the latest iOS on your phone it really can't be unlocked (iCloud).

by Dan

To remove icloud from motheboard needs to be resolder 3 chips from any other motheboard that do not have icloud. (all info icloud,imei and other split by apple in 3 chips) this is why have to be change all 3 chips. For people who have expirience with soldering its possible for other not.

Yep Dan (it can be done for sure) Do the same thing on iphone 4s, we will see how everything goes with 5s.

Andrei - No one is going to go to this level of effort, nor do they have the needed gear to even attempt it. Bottom line here it's a dead board (phone).

by Dan

Just out of curiosity, what 3 IC's are those?

by oldturkey03

Baseband, baseband memory and another one I don't know.

by Tom Chai

U601 if you chech schematic you will see this chip. I know Tom :) but at least people get the answer

by andrei orekhov

Hi, Andrei, U601_RF is the baseband memory, so what else needs to be changed?

by Tom Chai

Just buy an unlocked broken phone with clean IMEI, switch the Logic board and you have an awesome working phone. then turn around and sell the parts of the broken phone on ebay...njoy

yes would fixz it ......

Just wanted to let everyone know this worked very well for me! I bought a phone that was in perfect condition with the only drawback being activation lock, and a shattered phone that did not work, but had non-activation locked logic board. I merely put the clean logic board from the broken phone into the clean phone and boom, the phone worked perfectly having all the contents from the shattered phone inside the clean phone. You will need certain tools to do this but those can be easily bought on amazon. Good luck!

I have also same problem due to over heating some circuit lines and soldering have removed from the PCB . I thought to buy lock phone and then replace the three IC baseband, flash memory IC and third one I dodn't know any body can help me .

by naveedstc

hehehe have any of you ever use the ipsw firmware to unlock that ???

reprogram is only a task to make it worth .meet a programmer and give him a chilled bear and then next you get your iphone unlocked in a couple of minutes

I gave a programmer a chilled bear but he was in trouble when the bear thawed. Any way around this?

by Pseirakis Ioannis

blagojevic will be eternally grateful.