Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

777 Questions View all

What are these small black pieces of foam? (pic inside)

Does anyone know what these small black pieces of foam are? And are they important? (Should I try to put them back in my computer?) I did some searching around on Google and on here but have not been able to nail down an answer.

They came out of my computer when I was switching out the hard drive. I believe they came from the area towards the back of the computer (near the vent), although I'm not completely sure.


Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

These are called an EMI Gasket its a conductive covering over a foam core to act as a conductive path for EMI noise emissions to travel between two surfaces that may not be touching. It is also useful in controlling vibrations as well.

You should put them back in where they were located. Don't glue them (if they have lost there stickiness) as the the adhesive on them is also conductive.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


Thanks for the quick, helpful response! Another question though — where exactly do they go?


Okay, looking at page 156 of the Technician Guide for Mid-2010 MBPs, and it seems like those are probably the two EMI gaskets that fell out. Thanks!


Add a comment

Add your answer

Stephen will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 319