Apple's line of iBook laptops was intended for the consumer and educational markets. The iBook line comprises of the iBook G3 Clamshell, G3 12", G3 14", G4 12", and G4 14".

Hard drive connector on the bottom of the logic board is broken

iBook g4 1.33GHz. On start up it has flashing question mark and DU doesn't see any HD so I opened it up and sure enough - the plastic hard drive connector on the bottom of the logic board has come away. Can this be successfully re-attached? How would it be done? Thanks.

Is this a 2004 or 2005 version?

The 2004 has a replaceable ribbon cable assy which may just need to be plugged in again. The 2005 has (according to the manual) a grey plastic HDD connector holder that screws in on each end. If this is broken then a replacement may be available. I cant find the part number though.

I'd say it's the 2004 - that certainly looks the same as mine. Thing is though, the ribbon cable assembly is plugged in ok - it's the plastic connector into which it is plugged that has come away from the logic board. So it's the plastic connector that needs to be re-attached. Hope this is clearer. Thanks.

good + vote

Remove the battery and look in the compartment and side walls for the exact model number. Then use this link to contact iFixit and ask for the part: http://www.ifixit.com/Info/contact

I've got the part. How do i fix it to the logic board?

Are you able to post up a couple pics of what the board looks like, the part you have, and the damaged part. If I can see what you have I may be able to give better advice

Yes I'll try to get some pics later today. Thanks.

If it's the iBook G4 1.33ghz 14" I really don't understand how the hard drive connector socket could have detached from the board. I'm pretty sure the HD ribbon cable is only disconnected from the socket. Just connect it and put a tape on it.

Oh ok well the hard drive connector socket has detached from the board. It just has. The socket is connected to the hd ribbon cable but the whole thing is not connected to the board because as I have said, the connector socket is detached from the board. Yes it is the iBook G4 1.33ghz 14". Thanks.

Does the part that came off have pins/contacts in it if removed from the ribbon cable? Or is it just plastic? If just plastic, perhaps it just needs to be pushed over the pins/contacts on the logic board.. Just a thought but without being able to see it's a little hard as you can imagine

Ok I have some pics. I don't know how to add them here but if you go to: http://twitpic.com/1lj88c you will see it. The first (L-R) shows how the logic board would look if all was ok. Second shows how it looks now i.e. plastic "socket" detached. Third pic shows the plastic piece connected to the end of the HD ribbon cable. The 4th pic shows the offending "socket" piece that has come away from the logic board. Any ideas anyone? I've tried holding the piece in place with quite a bit of pressure and the HD still isn't recognised. Thanks for all your help everyone.

YIKES! I see the connector has been pulled off the board! It also looks like it has been soldered poorly to the board in the first place. Did you attempt a repair? Has this been repaired before? If you can clean up the pins and pads and get it resoldered it may resolve the problem assuming no other damage has occurred. You need a fine soldering iron and someone with SMD repair experience. Pity you are not local to me!

Re examining the pictures, I see what appears to be a missing solder pad on the pic 2 top row, 6th from left. If I am correct the repair just got a bit more complicated. Also I see some tracks on the board go from the pads under the connector, if any tracks have been broken that too will complicate matters

paulbowe will be eternally grateful.