Chromecast

A new iteration of the set-top box, a side-set box. Chromecast connects to your Wi-Fi network to stream content from your compatible device to your television.

Broken hdmi on chromecast, can it be repaired?

Someone tripped on the wire, snapping the hdmi part nearly off. Now it receives power, but cannot output sound or video. Is there anyway I can repair this?

Most Helpful Answer

Its a mild long shot, but probably what happened is some of the connections have come loose from the board inside. I bet it broke from the left side, leaving the right side connected as that where the power is. First you'll have to crack it open and see how bad it looks inside. Maybe take a picture if you'd like and send it over and I can judge from there. If it looks possible you'll probably need to make little jumpers from the connector to the board using bits of leftover wire. It won't be fun and you'll need a small tipped solder iron to do some(steady hands help too) but hey you keep it outta the landfill. Good luck.

My HDMI connector also came off the chromecast, exposing about 14 wires.

Here's a jpg on Microsoft Onedrive: http://1drv.ms/1wQCtUt

Can someone advice the best course of action?

Thank you.

sfguy2 (at) gmail.com

How can I fix mine? http://imgur.com/a/UfSOs

My hdmi chromecast got bent as a L form when my kid pushed the TV backward. Tv was ok.

I crack open the cast and notice that half of the HDMI connection was separated from the cast board. So I bend it back straight making sure that the connections was touching the board properly but did not solder it cause it takes time and extra effort. What I did i added the extension cable that came with the cast and use duck tape to make it stay straight cause it was wobble a little bit.

Glad to say that I have a perfectly working chromecast, the only downside is that is a little bit longer that before cause of the extension cable. But hey I'm happy it works :)

A shelf fell on my Chromecast , bent the HDMI connector on it and stopped working. I inspected the hdmi end of the Chromecast and about 7 pins inside that end had bent. I popped the case open, carefully wiggled the black plastic connector off of the pins. Then straightened the pins with a tweezers, carefully reloaded the pins back into the connector. Success! Now it is connected via the short HDMI cable that came with the Chromecast.

Better to be lucky than good.

Kindal Dewitt will be eternally grateful.