The Samsung Galaxy S II is a smartphone designed, developed, and marketed by Samsung Electronics with Android 2.3 "Gingerbread."

Water damaged phone, turns on but screen is black

Just recently, I dropped my phone in water, panicked and took battery and such out and dried the pieces and placed them in rice. I took it out and found out that my phone can turn on, receive notifications and all, but my screen won't turn on and remains black. I went to Sprint store, told me that they do not look at water-damaged phones... What are my options? The phone minus the screen is working perfectly and i would hate to buy a new phone.

David, Probable faulty display. Rice would have been of very little use and will not stop the corrosion that is happening in the phone. Stop charging or powering up your device until the liquid damage is addressed correctly, as you could be shorting out components inside the phone. You really should take care of the corrosion that is happening inside the phone from the water damage as that could be your problem. A tear down link for your device Link #1, disassembly guide will enable you to get inside the phone to remove the damage/corrosion caused by the liquid. Use the 2nd link as a guide/instruction on how to clean/repair the device from liquid damage. After this you will be able to power on the phone and see if further damage has to be addressed. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Samsung Galaxy S II Teardown

Electronics Water Damage

Most Helpful Answer

Well if your puting it in rice you might aswel just boil the phone and eat it as rice does absolutely nothing.very bad idea.

The phone needa opened up and washed with ISO alcohol then dryed,then turn on if you can only hear sound then it's possible that you need a new screen

Actually rice is a very good idea. Rice will suck out all of the moisture in the phone. its saved many phones of mine.

Phone might need a new LCD or the connector on the board has corrosion on it.

So I would need to go to one of those local repair stores to fix it?

Unless you want to take it apart yourself and clean it. I would start with a distilled water and baking soda mixture and gently scrub the board with a soft toothbrush and clean it really good. Make sure the LCD connector and flex cable for the LCD are clean. If that still doesn't work you either have board damage with the traces on the board and backlight issues or the LCD is toast and needs replaced. You can take it to a shop if you prefer.

But where is that located? Would i have to go over my screen or take the screen apart?

put it in a bag of rice nd let it stay in there for at less 24 hours or longer

Put your phone in some rice nd leave it in there for at less 24 for hours or longer ]

Patricia Douglas, there is no benefit from placing it in rice. This is a time consuming myth and does not accomplish anything. there is only anecdotal evidence that it does do anything. Personally I believe that using rice is the same as doing nothing.

Trust me it does work I'm a living witness friends also

Please don't do this...

Putting it in rice/bread/crackers works just fine, always my go to with water damage. If it doesn't work, I bake it out in a hot car for a couple days. Usually works. I do have a phone atm that it's not working on though, looks like I'm looking at a corosion problem. Clean connections with 90% or higher Isopropyl Alcohol. Should do the trick. If not, I'd say new screen.

Take you phone out as quick as possible from the water, dry your phone quickly with a towel or some cloth and put in a bag of rice for 3-4 days minimum. It will be good as new

Open The Case Of Your Phone, Then Clean The Substances With A Thin Brush And Check If Its Now Working....

If Not, Proceed To These Steps

1.Shutdown Your Phone Let It Rest 2 Minutes.

2.Open Case

3. Remove Battery

4. Unscrew To Open The Board Processing Your Phone

5.Remove The Board

6.Reheat It With Heat Gun In 300 Degrees Celsius ( Be Careful On What You Going To Heat On Then, Kindly Revert The Steps

It Should Be Working Now.... If Not, Replacement May Be Needing

Its No Software Or Any Spy/Mal/Wares, Its Hardware

cheers, Erol

-Microsoft Community

Hi David, before continuing reading this: Remove the battery as soon as possible and DO NOT CHARGE!

If a device is exhibiting symptoms of water damage the first step should be opening the device up to just double check that there isn't water still in it, shorting something out. (I have opened a phone up that got wet and was dried months ago, and still had water in it on the motherboard.)

1) Open it up, if water is there disconnect all power sources (including battery if possible), 2) next remove the water, (see footnote 1) this can be accomplished by drying with a hair dryer (not on high), 3: next put in a bag with some dessicants (see footnote 2) for 2-7 days, reassemble and voila!

Footnote 1: an optional but highly recommended step here is to pour 97% isopropyl alcohol in the device (but try not to pour on a screen, it can mess with adhesives) the benefit of this is the alcohol will often displace the water, meaning you now have a device that is now soaked in alcohol, still not ideal but way better because alcohol evaporates faster than water and is less corrosive)

Footnote 2: those little bags in food that say do not eat, can be purchased on amazon for cheap, for example: https://www.amazon.com/10g-Silica-Gel-De...

David will be eternally grateful.