Repair guides and support for cars, trucks, and SUVs manufactured by GMC.

Where is the oil pressure switch located in a GMC Truck 2004?

I need to change the oil pressure switch on my 5.3 v8

where is it located

Marvin Stiles, it should be #12 in the image.

Removal & Install Procedure for 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L & 8.1L Engines

If necessary, remove the engine sight shield.

Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.

Using tool J41712 or equivalent, remove the oil pressure sensor.

To install:

Apply sealant to the threads of the oil pressure sensor.

Using tool J41712 or equivalent, install the oil pressure sensor.

Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) on 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines.

Tighten the sensor to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) on 8.1L engines.

Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.

If necessary, install the engine sight shield.

Or you may try this "The GM Service manual says you have to remove the intake manifold because this sensor is buried in the back top portion of the engine. I was able to see it from the side and was able to feel it with my hand, so I figured there had to be another way.

All you need to do is...

Disconnect both fuel lines from the intake and remove the PCV hose. This give you all the room you need to remove the electrical plug and get a socket on the sensor.

I removed the OEM sensor with a 6 point 1-1/16" socket, swivel, and extension. It fit beautifully and got it right out.

Replacement sensor from O'reilly ($45). The BWD brand sensor is taller, meaning you need to use a deep well 6 point 1-1/16" socket. The only one I had was an impact socket that has a very thick wall. It wouldn't fit down over the sensor because of the tight area.

So store to get Lisle Tool 13250, Oil Pressure Switch Socket. It is a thin walled deep 1-1/16" socket made for these sensors. You might could get a regular, NON impact deep well socket in there, but the special tool was only a dollar more so I got it." from here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Yes, the Oil Pressure sensor cannot be removed using a standard 1- 1/6 " deep socket. Canadian Tire sell the correct deep 1 -1/6" , thin-walled, 1/2" drive socket to remove the sensor. Also, i'ts help full to use a 1/2" universal and a 3" - 4" extension .

Does anyone know, which fuse protects the oil pressure sending unit for a 2005 Yukon 1500? .

Regards, Terry Southgate . Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada

Marvin Stiles will be eternally grateful.