0

arrrgh
1

Replacing the screen assembly - can Apple tell?

If one carefully replaces the screen assembly for the rMBP Pro can Apple tell if the whole screen assembly has been replaced? There aren't any seals or stuff like that inside and you basically change the whole upper body of the machine so I wonder if Apple is able to tell. What do you think?

I've had extreme bad luck with my rMBP (first the screen cracked and then the screen assembly I replaced failed after a few months and there'd still be "warranty left" because Apple doesn't know that I've cracked the original screen). I wonder if it's worth to try?

Thx in advance,

- J

If you have the extended AppleCare warranty you should be OK.

Dan,

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

If the repair has been done correctly, they can't tell. And it's the correct part for that machine. When under warranty and sent in, it goes to a "Depot" repair location and the tech just replaces parts till it works.

Edited by: mayer ( )

0

Bart
1

I'd be careful there, screens and especially panels have got their own serial numbers; I'd be very very surprised if Apple wouldn't be collecting those against other parts serial numbers and run a quick check whether 'everything checks' during service / repairs.

0

marcorgzz
1

Most of the screws used for electronics contains a small amount of resin usually blue color when you remove the screws the resin goes away. Techs use this as and indicator and they can tell if and electronic equipment was open if the don't see any traces of it.