0

Level370
17

How will iMac react if optical drive and fan are removed?

I already post a question regarding "noiseless imac" due to my hyeracusis disease.

My iMac is now open (glass and display removed) and the goal is to replace the HDD by a SSD.

I had a look at components location and wondered what will happen if I also fully remove the optical drive AND the fan under. Except possible evident temperature issue and risks, could you please let me know if the system will halt if the drive and the fan are disconnected from the mainboard ?

Thank you,

David

1

machead3
99k

I would not remove the fan, unless you have some quiet alternative to pass cool air through the machine that fan and sensors work together to keep your CPU from cooking (overheat damage.. like the head on a car engine… you couldn't run a normal water-cooled engine with out the radiator fan.) .

I think the machine will boot. If (when) it overheats it should shut down, but that's not a good thing. You will eventually kill the drive, and the CPU.

Removing the optical drive should cause no problems booting or running… it' done all the time.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.