Replace the Home-button / TouchID Metal Ring

I've got an iPhone 5s in Space Grey or black.

And I don't understand why Apple did put a black ring around the home button instead of a silver or at least "space grey" one.

I think that would look a LOT cooler.

So is there any guide for changing the ring of the home button?

I know it acts as sensor to detect the finger, so I guess it's more than just a metal ring.

I found a place for buying replacement rings:

http://www.hytparts.com/000671-replaceme...

So looking forward to any help!

Most Helpful Answer

DON'T EVER ATTEMPT IT

You will surely destroy the sensor and lose Touch ID function on this phone forever.

The sensor is laminated onto the sapphire with strong glue. Removing the sensor chip will result in physical damage to the chip and even you manage to pull the chip off in one piece, the electrical characteristics will be different when you put the chip into another button set. You cannot recalibrate the sensor, maybe it can no longer read fingerprints accurately.

Also the sensor backplate is spot welded onto the metal ring, removing the welding will cause damage as well.

And at last the old story, the sensor is cryptographically paired with the phone, you cannot replace it as an assembly, it won't work. If you damage it you lose it forever.

if you ruin the button touch id will NEVER work.

I switched a friend's touch sensor with my own, a white for a black to have the contrast between colors, and both our touch ID capabilities are no longer available. The part must be paired, as previously mentioned. Poop.

The Touch ID is specific to the phone.

Sorry again. Life of a student isn't easy when you always have exams and internals. Here is a link to photos of my phone.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C...

I promise to upload a video in 5 days after exams

Hey guys I have uploaded my video on replacing the Touch ID Ring on the iPhone 5s, the link is below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=XuQ...

This looks brutal.

It sure is. I have replaced 4 rings on Touch ID buttons, all of them being successful. The idea of not damaging the sensor is to use something soft (ie eraser from te end of a pencil)

Wow, that looks difficult, but not impossible. It's the same on the iPhone 6, right? Because I have a 6 and not a 5S :)

I haven't done it with a iPhone 6 Touch ID before

But the steps for an iPhone 6 won't be very different from the 5S would they?

There is not a guide for that yet, but if you are confident enough, you can attempt it by referring to the iPhone 5 Home Button Replacement as the basis for getting to the home button assembly on the 5s. You may also need to refer to step 9 of the iPhone 5s Teardown. I hope this helps.

iPhone 5 Home Button Image

Guide

iPhone 5 Home Button Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate45 minutos - 2 horas

iPhone 5s Image

Guide

iPhone 5s Teardown

Difficulty: Moderate

I recently tried to do this after purchasing a silver ring and I wasn't able to get the finger scanner to separate from the metal ring. Any help would be much appreciated

has anyone solved this yet? I also want to take a gold ring from available stock of the gold iphone 5s and put it on my space grey iphone 5s

This is not a suggested mod. Attempting this is (IMO) more risk than reward.

I've had it all apart no worries. My problem must've been the spot weld on the metal ring you talk about stopping the sensor from separating. I just find it weird I'm able to purchase a replacement ring when there is no way to change/replace it.

There must be a way... but I agree, damage the sensor and you're phone is finished.

I too purchased the metal detection ring from iphone4parts.com thinking you could easily interchange this piece. That was most certainly not the case, I broke my fingerprint sensor in the process and had to order a new one. If anyone can figure out how to make this possible please advise.

And you killed the Touch ID function forever.

Hi there. It IS possible to replace the touch id ring as i have done it to my phone. I have a Gold ring with the black space grey sapphire centre. Email me at jeffersonlamb@gmail.com if you want to know how

Could you post a picture of your gold/black home button here so I could see how it looked? I want to know if I'd like it before I attempt to do anything to my phone...

HI Jefferson Lamb please post your method for changing the gold ring. Thanks

I apologize to those who have been waiting for my response. I have been on holiday and will be passing a video of how to replace the touch ID ring in the next week or so. I appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Jefferson Lamb

Hey Jefferson Lamb, is your video up yet? If not could you put up some pictures or something here so we could all see how you successfully changed your Touch ID ring? Thanks!

Ugh need to know how to do this for my Matt black and gold iPhone 5S

so can you buy a gold home button sensor and put it on a white iphone?

If you don't care about the touch id function you can try to change the rings. In case of fail, the worst thing will be that your iPhone would not have anymore a touch id function. Or you pass by Apple Genius Bar and they can fix it for you (paying, of course).

I recently broke my screen on iphone 6 Gold. I bought the phone straight from Apple store and its brand new. So i went to a shop to replace it and it all works fine, the new screen looks great. its not until a week later i realized the home button is a bit wobbly and i found out the metal ring is Silver! I went back to the shop to ask for my gold ring back, the shop refused to change it back, saying i hv no proof to accuse them, so i went home.

It is still a mystery of how they did it without ruining the touch id. The touch id works fine without any sign of damage although it doesnt feel like the original, so i avoid using it so much except for the touch id. And ever since i tried finding a post/video of someone who can change the metal ring, no luck.

But i can tell you whoever is good at changing it, its the guy from the repair shop. I just use sticker ring i bought from ebay to make me happy again.

Yasser will be eternally grateful.