Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Refrigerator Will not dispense water after replacing filter.

After replacing the filter on a GE Profile PFSS9PKY French Door water would not dispense. I put the old filter on and it worked fine. I have tried the Ge brand as well as another brand filter and had the same result. I followed the directions for filling the filter first with out success. The fridge would make a hammering noise only with the new filter which would then stop however no water would come out or sometimes very little water would come out at first then nothing. After a couple months with the old filter I tried again with the new filter and now water will not come out with either the old or new filter.

whats the solution??

I am hoping that someone can help me out, I have more or less the same problem.

I had to replace my water double inlet value. After doing so when I try to use the water dispenser water flows out the bypass value (I am guessing that is what it is called) under pressure.

I have checked everything, ALL lines are free of obstruction, nothing frozen. The supply line to a new filter works, the filter goes under pressure.

From the filter to Inlet value W1 (white tube) of course is getting water as it flows out the bypass.

From Inlet W2 to the ice machine gets water, draws automatically as needed with no water out the bypass.

So I am wondering is there is some trick I am missing, does the inlet value somehow need to be primed or is it just bad - I am thinking it is bad since it is under preassure.

Someone here mentioned that if there was not enough pressure and then if there was too much pressure? I have not had a problem before and yes this is a new part...but I am thinking it is a bad part.

I'm having the same exact hammering problem. Are we all getting our replacement filters from the same source???

I have the same problem. I replaced the filter and the water reduced to a trickle. I thought maybe it was just a bad filter, I bought another one,(GE MWF Home Depot $49.00 ) and it does the same.

For me, the solution to the hammering was to unscrew the filter and screw it back in again, TIGHTER. I don't think it was lined up properly before as I didn't have it tightened all the way. It could be some filters are slightly misaligned. My theory anyways and tightening it with my mechanic gloves worked.

Most Helpful Answer

Water Tube in Door is Frozen

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working the water supply tube in the door may be frozen. This will be difficult to track down. Look for a connection point at the bottom or top of the door, try removing the hose and blowing air through it and out the dispenser. If air passes through, it's not frozen. If not, thaw it out. and determine where it froze in the door. Most doors are foamed in with a sleeve the water line goes thru to the dispenser. The freezer temp should be kept from 0 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is too cold the water line in the door may freeze.

Water Inlet Valve

If the water dispenser is not working the water pressure from the house might be too low. Water inlet valves require a minimum of 20 psi to function properly. If the pressure is good and the water filter is good, replace the water inlet valve.

Low Water Pressure from House Supply

If the water dispenser is not working the water pressure from the house might be too low. Water inlet valves require a minimum of 20 psi to function properly.

Water Filter

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working the water filter might be clogged. Try changing the water filter.

Door Switch

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working, the door switch might be defective. When the freezer door is opened the freezer door switch does two things, it turns on the light in the freezer and turns off the ice and water dispenser. If the door switch fails the dispenser will not turn on. The switch can be checked for continuity with an Ohm meter. If it doesn’t have continuity it should be replaced.

Why would the dispenser work with the old filter and not the new filter? I tried 3 different new filters from 2 different brands several times.

If you have never installed this new style filter or your old filter was made by Culligan you may need the adapter to install it. Here's the adapter: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/W...

the old filter worked. The plug works. The replacement filters reduce the water to a trickle.

I had the same "hammering" problem. For me, replacing the new filter with the old still produced the same results. It turned out that the water pressure was too high for the filter. I have a spigot attached to my water supply. I replaced the o-rings, turned off the water source and while the water dispenser was running, I slowly turned it up until the "hammering" started. Then I backed off on the spigot a bit until the 'hammering" stopped. No more issues.

Tried a great value MWF filter didn't work but for maybe 2 seconds of full pressure. noticed the inside part is different from the OE smartwater mwf filter, tried ge mwf filter and it didn't work. Pressed the switch on the valve and water went all over. Created washers out of a cereal box, put inside top of filter and it worked. Old filter was working but slow flow, new filters wouldn't work. Not a 100% fix but all 3 filters were different inside where it mounts and triggers the switch to let water pass. Fridge 12 years old, filter is like 8 years old (not mine) and the new filters don't get made by the same specs as the "GE SMARTWATER MWF" filter used to. Could be bad filter mounts or problems with the valve switch. Leaning more towards bad filter specs as I can get sprayed heavily activating the switch by hand with no filter installed! Perhaps a new valve for a new fridge from 2016 with a filter for that would be best option. OR perhaps never buying GE or any off name same manufacturer fridges would be!

I finally fixed this problem permanently in my GE Profile side-by-side thanks to the helpful hints of others on this site. The solution is that you need to replace the entire filter head assembly. It consists of the filter head (i.e. the structure the filter attaches to) and water lines that connect to the main supply to the fridge. It's an easy and inexpensive fix. Good luck.

Ditto --

I had to replace the filter head assembly, which was really not that hard.

Tip: As someone also pointed out - make sure that the hammering sound is coming from the filter head assembly side. It is was unmistakable in my case.

would you mind step by step instructions please?

I have the same problem as the rest I have read. Hammering and a tiny stream that turned into no stream of water tonight. I have plenty of ice cubes. Does anyone know if the filter is filtering the cubes, since it's not doing anything else but knocking and hammering?

Refrigerator is a Maytag and only a year old. I didn't extend the warranty because the papers that came with it read that it didn't do much at all. Not covered.

The resolution for my Jenn-air: there is a black gasket that formed an outer seal. It must not have been seated properly after removing the old filter. I pulled it off and reinstalled it. Then installed the new filter with no hammer and strong flow.

This is simple fix - removing a reinstalling the filter with a tight turn. THANKS!!

My husband figured it out. We had the same problem of just a trickle of water after replacing the cartridge. The answer is that you fill the new cartridge with water. IT TAKES AT LEAST 20 MINUTES TO FILL. You will notice little air bubbles at the fill hole . Add a little more water. Keep doing it till they have almost stopped. Then insert the cartridge as directed.

Jim's Wife

I too had the exact same problem. The instructions in the filter replacement kit asked to fill the new filter with water before replacing, but I had not paid attention to it :(. After filling the filter with water, everything worked fine.

so you just hold it under the faucet for 20 minutes? I wish there was a video to show what it looks like when it is full.

Hi, Wanted to share my solution that worked. Best of all, it just costs as much as a water hose washer !

I had the same exact issue after I replaced the water filter. Returned the original GE one, and got another GE one thinking it was a defect in the filter. That did not work. Then also tried a generic filter from home depot. Even that did not work. So it was clear it was not the issue with water filter.

I agree that the issue is with the filter head assembly. You can either replace the filter head or do a cheap fix by using a water hose washer. I got this idea after watching this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjShdHoi...

Though he mentions to use a metal washer, a simple garden hose washer will work as good. Check it out. The video provides more information and shows about the part in the filter head that needs some extra push. A washer in the filter can do the trick.

I am very glad this worked and also to know the root cause of this problem. This appears to be a common problem and one definitely don't have to replace the filter head each time.

There are a some reason of what could cause dispense water problem. First check to see if water pressure coming to the refrigerator. The best way to do this, is to shut off the water to the refrigerator, then disconnect the water line, and then put the water line in a bucket while you have someone turn the water back on. Another common thing that can happen is for a water line to freeze. To fix this, you would need to let the water lines thaw out and warm up.

I don't have an answer, but instead I have the exact same problem. The hammering noise, however, occured with the old filter. When I installed the new filter (filled with water) I got a trickle and then no water flow. To troubleshoot the issue, I removed the filter and installed the bypass plug. The water pressure and flow rate returned to normal and was strong as expected. When the new filter was re-installed there was no flow at all.

I don't have hammering. Just slow trickle.

I'm having the same issue. I've tried the remedies listed above. I think something has changed in the manufacture of the filters in recent years such that the filter is actually putting up too much resistance to water flow. When I try to fill the filter from the sink, It's tough to get water in or out. It just pools in at the top. The only solution may be to simply re-install the bypass plug and find another answer for the filtered water my family enjoys.

I had the same problem with a Samsung and the technical support dept said I must have used a cheap Wal-Mart replacement filter but they were wrong it was a Samsung.

After a year of not being able to filter my water I realized that I had removed a restriction on the supply side which would have increased my flow/pressure.

So I turned down the valve behind the refrigerator reducing pressure during a lower flow rate and it has been working ever since.

Not sure what is going on with my water dispenser. No water. Earlier it used to dispense for few days and then stop. I would remove and install the filter back again to make it work. There is a vibration and some noise while installing the filter. But now, it completely stopped working. I replaced the entire filter head assembly - including the water lines. Still does not work. I do hear the humming when I try to dispense water - so I believe the switch is working. Any thoughts?

I have the same issue, no water flow. The Sears repairman came this morning and said the door with the

Water dispenser will have to be replaced. The refrigerator is under a service contract so I'm ok with it but it still doesn't make sense to me because all he did was check the filter and check the water flow. He checked the connection on the bottom of the door and decided I needed a new door because the problem is inside the the door. Your thoughts?

Sears appliance repair is practically a criminal organization. I had them fix a convection oven-and the guy tried to fool me that the convection heating coil was working when it wasn't. My girlfriend was told the control unit in her dishwasher needed to be replaced ($100s). I did a little research with the paper manuals that came with the machine and found that the code it displayed indicated something was blocked (not sure what it is called right now)-I cleared out the crud and that fixed the machine.

For those worried about water pressure to an ice maker/water dispenser in the door, in my Kenmore Model 106.55112 Side by Side Refrigerator Manual it says; "With the water filter removed, dispense 1 cup of water. If 1 cup of water is dispensed in 8 seconds or less, the water pressure to the refrigerator meets the minimum requirement." Not as accurate as professional methods but would give you a clue.

I had the same problem. I found that if I turned the filter in and out under pressure will holding the water flow open, eventually it started to work and is working perfectly now.... It's worth a shot.

I had this issue and I fixed it by filling the filter with water then connecting it. It's the air in the lines that causes the hammering noise. I think it would eventually purge the air if you cycle the dispenser for 5 sec then wait 5 sec, repeating the cycle as necessary. But the fill method seems to speed things up.

I re-read the filter cartridge and the last step is to bleed the system. Hold the dispenser line for four minutes. Ten minutes later we had working water.

I had the same issue after replacing the (GE) water filter--I had no water and no ice. I actually called a repairman, and he removed the filter and just reinserted it properly. The refrigerator is particular about alignment. There was no need to replace the filter system in the refrigerator.

I had the same issue and tried all of the above. I resolved it by reducing the water pressure to the fridge. My water hookup has a spigot handle like a garden spigot. With someone dispensing water (or trying to) I very slowly decreased the pressure by closing the valve until it stopped "hammering" and began to dispense water. I over-shot a few times adn had to keep adjusting until I found the most pressure without the ill side effects.

I also put some silicone grease on the filter seals. I don't know if this did anything, but I thought I would mention it.

I had a water hammering noise in my GE Adora side by side refrigerator when I tried to dispense water. Do not waste your time or money on repairs. I tried everything from thawing the lines to replacing the water coupler. It's as simple as making sure the water filter is installed correctly. You might have to loosen it a little by twisting a tiny bit to the left or take it off and install it again until the water starts dispensing without the hammering noise. Good luck.

I just went through this hair pulling problem. I changed my filter and little to no water pressure. No its not air in the lines ,No its not freezing lines,No its not low water pressure in my house. If you put your old filter back in and it still has no pressure ,its no the filter "makes sense". I shut of my water line to my fridge and removed my filter. I looked inside and saw 2 small little tits that have an "X" marked shape, The centre one was filly out but the outside one was partially out. I you depress both of them they bounce back cause of spring pressure, The correct term "Check valves" possible one way . Any ways what i did was push the one that you think is not fully extended in and out maybe 20- 25 times with a long screw driver or a coat hanger. If you have a long pair of needle nose pliers handy grab the "X" valve and push in and out while turning side to side at the same time"keep in mind this is a plastic valve and could be damaged very easily" Hope this helps. Install your filter and turn water supply back on , this should do the trick.

Just had and solved this problem. At least for us..Remove the filter and shake it a few times. The water is trying to find its way through and resettling the contents changes the density. The hammering goes away..

after repair of water line and sears water filter that is full water will not dispense even after following sears instruction video

cannot purge system even after doing all told by sears vidio with door water

In my case, with a Samsung refrigerator (French door), this was a defrost issue. Water would flow fine with no filter, but with several brand new filters , it would not flow (or would flow briefly then stop). I have the rf263. Unfortunately , I've had nothing but problems with it. I put it in "fd" mode for 30 minutes,which melted the ice build up, and then the filter worked after that. Also the defrost helped clear my drain , since I had to install a modified piece which allows the defroster to actually melt ice in the drain. I know that the drain was clogged, because I had water in the crisper tray during the defrost. Why I would have to use manual defrost mode is beyond me. Samsung just makes all around garbage refrigerators. I know the original post was for ge, but a search for this problem for Samsung led me here.

How did you put it to fd mode? I have a rf31 and having the same issue

Hold "energy saver" (top left) and "fridge" (middle right) until the screen blanks. You are now at a menu, where the press of any of the buttons will cycle through the options. Stop on "fd" (full defrost) it will beep very annoyingly, but usually an hour will take care of it. Power off at the breaker and power on to put the fridge back to normal. Obviously, try not to open the fridge during the process to help your food.

IMPORTANT AND TRY THIS! Make sure the filter is turned a FULL quarter turn. Sometimes it takes more force than you realize. It needs to be a tight seal to really work well.

Hi.

I had exactly the same issue.

After reading the comments here and looking at the write up in the package, I figured it was probably the water pressure going.

1. I located the water valve controlling the water going to the fridge.

2. I increased the water flow to maximum.

3. I told my son to try to get water from the fridge while I was decreasing the water flow.

4. Then at one point he said the water is now flowing.

What a relief!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem. When I remove the filter, it would dispense water. Based on the comments and solutions suggested here, I thought the filter was defective so tried it out with four new filters - all same results. So realized it can't be the filter.

So when the filter is removed, there is a part that looks like a plastic tray (it seems like its there to collect water when adding/removing filter). I tried adjusting that. I was able to push it in and out..so I pushed it in and then replaced the filter..and somehow it started dispensing water.

I am not sure if that fixed the problem or something else, for now I am afraid to take the filter out to prove the theory..but will try that when I have to replace the filter again.

For now I am good.

I am surprised by some of the answers that are posted.

Here is the problem and how to AVOID it.

The filter head assembly has a nipple sticking out in the spot that water will come into the filter. This nipple will be pushed out by the water pressure behind it to stop the water coming out when there is no filter mounted.

When you mount the filter it will push that nipple in slightly and allow the water to flow through your filter, in this process you can damage that nipple and it will not be pushed in, so water will not flow(or flow is reduced) unless you change the filter head assembly.

Solution: before changing the filter shot off the water AND eliminate the water pressure by turning on a cold water faucet.

This way your filter will not damage the nipple in the filter head assembly.

By

ALNO WILTON

I've read a lot of solutions to this problem. Here is the foolproof solution. Put the water filter bypass cap that came with the fridge back in (or buy a new one on Amazon). The water will now flow freely, but won't be filtered. Pull the fridge away from the wall and install an in -line water filter. Not as convenient as having the filter in the fridge, but there are a lot of different brands available and some of them last for years. Good luck!

take off the plastic guard in front of filter. put old filter back on and watch how far it goes to turn water back on (take back off). then with new filter put it in! i bought my filter from walmart and it didn't go on as easy. but with a firm grip keep spinning and you will hear the water back on. your welcome!

Had the same issue came across service company http://www.agsrefrigeration.co.uk/ who supply parts and fix problem.

Oh my gosh I am so glad I came to this page. We had to change our filter 2/3 days ago bought Samsung at lowes installed following all directions still no water. Took filter back to lowes for exchange thinking it was faulty put in new filter still no water!! For days we talked to SAMSUNG CS had email from Samsung CS still

no water. OK today I went searching found this page thank you all so much. We put filter in bucket of water to let fill up til no bubbles, while my husband inserted filter,removed filter and repeated I held down the water dispenser closed door and we had water.

The hammering is caused by a damaged cartridge filter. Specifically, the plastic weld holding the inner section of the filter to the outer section breaks free when the filter is installed over the refrigerator's water outlet nipple. I believe the root cause of the problem is a combination of poor filter design (the weak weld geometry) and the slight swelling of the nipple's O-rings that occurs over a period of time as the rubber slowly absorbs a small amount of water. The swollen O-rings cause a high force to be exerted on the filter's weld joint during installation. Through a Venturi action across the broken weld, air gets sucked into the upstream side of the filter element. This element does not easily pass air, thus the reduced flow due to a vapor-lock condition. The hammering occurs as a result of the dynamics of water flow, Venturi action and pressure on the loose inner piece. Eventually enough air gets sucked in to completely cover the inlet surface of the element and prevent any water form passing through.

The fix is twofold: replace the filter, and replace the refrigerator's outlet water nipple. I would apply a thin film of FDA-rated silicone grease to the O-rings of the nipple. This will ease filter insertion and retard swelling of the O-ring from the water.

I had no water pressure after changing filter..saw a fix on this site. I used a washer..then it worked..wish I had tried this earlier..now have an extra filter..but will just save it for next time:)

Install the filter like the box says, then find a cup or container heavy enough to engage the dispenser and leave the cup there for about 5 minutes, or you could just push it in with your hand for 5 minutes if you have nothing else to do. Lol. No frozen lines or broken fridge, the water has to fill the filter and push the air out of the line. You're welcome

My problem

Replaced the filter in my KitchenAid fridge with a new one - specifically, "EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 4 (Pack of 2)" from Amazon. It worked for a day or two, and then the water stopped flowing, accompanied by a very loud, annoying, disturbing jackhammer sound. In addition, upon removing the filter, the refrigerator's filter head (i.e. the "nipple") would leak water non-stop until either a filter or bypass plug were inserted, creating a big mess.

I called a repairman. He inserted a bypass plug, and the water ran fine. Because the bypass cap was long ago lost or thrown away by someone, I could not test this myself. He concluded that both of the filters I bought were defective, charged me $120, and went on his way. This smelled bad, but I had no information with which to counter the decision.

My partial solution

At the suggestion of someone here, I put the filter in a bucket and filled it entirely with water, forcing out all the air within. The effect has been threefold: first, the jackhammer noise can now only be heard for a couple seconds, then it goes away; second, the water now runs, albeit very slowly; third, when removing the filter, the filter head no longer leaks water. I'm very grateful for the latter, because now troubleshooting is less messy.

So, I've decided to live with the crappy water pressure and brief jackhammer sound. Between the overpriced OEM filters, the "repair" job, and a replacement bypass plug, I am about $220 in the hole. I'll wait until the filters give out before trying to contend with this problem again.

My conclusion

This issue is all over the Web, and I do think the most common cause is a bad product. Simply replacing the filter shouldn't break anything, but it does. I don't have a technical explanation for the issue, but it could not have been a coincidental, simultaneous failure of the refrigerator, or my home's water system. It must be a problem with come kind of interaction between the fridge and the filter.

I was having a similar episode with my samsung fridge filter. I realized after looking inside the slot where you insert the cartridge that the wide thread ears on filter and insert were sideways. I was trying to push it in with the handle in my hand straight up and down instead of sideways. After re-inserting the cartridge in sideways in my hand with the thread ears sideways i imediatley heard the water start filling the cartride and thats when i finished pushing in and turning clockwise untill locked in. Filter then dispensed perfactly. Boom done.

Put the old filter back in and all worked well. Repeated the process five times. Results consistent each time".

So what worked for me was to untwist filter slightly once fully seated then re tighten and repeat to process a few times until you feel a slight increase in tension. I'm assuming the rubber gaskets are making a better seal.

I had the same problem, no water flow after replacing the filter. Tracked my problem down. The supply line I used has an "anti flood valve" built into it. The little bit of water hammer after the filter change caused it to active. The solution- unhook the water supply at the shut off valve (which resets the valve) then reconnect it. Problem solved. I now have water!

I suspect most new refrigerators have some form of similar protection. Hope this helps those that have this problem in the future!

I put a sauce pan of FAUCET RUN hot water inside the fridge directly under the filter / water inlet tubes and bam. Problem solved. 2 October 2017.

unplug fridge for 30 seconds

where do you turn on the dispenser to have the water filter to work

I just spent 2 hours on this problem and finally found a fix.. The real solution is to replace the water filter mount because more than likely, the water inlet nipple is broken. It was mentioned in another solution so, I decided to check it out with a mirror and found out that it was crooked. I took the part out, after checking everything else, and saw that it has little wings that were supposed to keep it straight, allowing for it to be pushed to let the water flow into the filter. If it's not fixed, after the pressure builds, it slides off to the slide and closes again. So, the proper fix is to replace the mount... but I snipped off a tip of a plastic fork and used it to keep the nipple straight; re-mounted the mount; attached all the water lines I had disconnected; hooked up the new filter (GE MWF); and turned on the water... it worked!!

So, the short of it... turn off the water to the fridge. Unplug the fridge. Disconnect both water lines that go to the filter and the back, top cover where they go in from the back. Now you can take out the mount and replace it... or flip it over and find a way to fix the nipple... your choice...

Jason Perron will be eternally grateful.