Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

Repairing Disk Errors is looping

Hi, I turned my Acer Aspire v3-571G laptop on and it started saying 'Repairing disk errors might take up to an hour'. Then the screen goes black after a while, then a blue screen with a sad face pops up saying something about an error then it starts all over again.

Your hard drive may be in the midst of failing.

To verify this you have to look at the drive with another operating system and run a diagnostic test, especially looking for the S.M.A.R.T. data stored on the drive. Two ways to do this:

One, Boot your laptop from a bootable diagnostic CD such as HIREN or The Ultimate Boot CD. Once booted, each has several HDD diag utilities.

Two, and my preferred approach, is to remove the drive from the laptop and attach it to another machine where you can run Windows-based diags, such as HD Tune.

Most important here...do you have a backup of your data?

Simeone will be eternally grateful.