Released on October 23, 2012. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Apple Fusion Drive.

SSD and Harddisk showing up in red after install of 2nd Drive

I used the ifixit Dual Drive Kit to add a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD to my Mac Mini 2012 (i7, 2,3 GHz, 1 TB HDD).

After the install I wanted to format the SSD and the Disk Utility said that I have to initialize(don't know the exact word) the drives. What happend was that the Disk Utility built a Fusion Drive out of my SSD and HDD. This was not what I wanted so I googled and found an article how to revert the Fusion Drive with diskutil and how to delete the Core Storage Entry.

Now I see both disks again, but both are shown red, and I can't repair them, can't format them, When I click on a drive I get a popup that i have to "initialize the drives" then I have to options Ignore and Fest but none does anything.

I can partition the HDD with the diskutil tool, after which it still shows red, but when I try to partition the SSD I get just an error number like -66789 (number is not correct but something like that.)

Any ideas what i can do?

You may have damaged the MBD on the SSD when you "reverted" the Fusion Drive set up. I suggest you contact the author of that article for assistance. An image of "shown in red" would be helpful, along with a link to the article mentioned previously.

Not sure what you could have done here. As Machead stated maybe you should contact the author of the article.

The other option here is getting a more powerful disk management tool like Drive Genius (there are others) and see what they can do to fix things.

Frank Werner will be eternally grateful.