4

NDonnelly
59

It went through the wash. Is it fixable?

Power comes on and apple icon is visible but no sound or menu.

Edited by: David Hodson ( )

had one that went through the wash 3 years ago. thought all was lost and so left it as an expensive lesson. recently charged it and it works fine. son has a new, bigger one - but i got his old one at no extra cost to me!!! don't despair - just give it time.

Sam,

washed mine as well, everything was fine after a little while, except it plays out of the speaker and the headphones, not really sure how to fix that...

Benedict,

7

Gabe

In the future you shouldn't have turned it on in the first place, but immediately put it into dry, uncooked rice as it will suck out all the liquid from the iPod, for about 48 hours will do. If by then, its still not working, some parts inside are fried.

And, as iMike said, try booting it up in restore mode and restoring it.

Thanks for your help. It is in the rice now!

NDonnelly,

Step 1, Do not turn it on. Step 2, Get a hold of some Deoxit D5 (available online) Step 3, Place Ipod in a small container plastic or glass container just barely larger than the Ipod and spray it with Deoxit D5 until it is completely immersed. Make sure the Deoxit solution gets inside. You want it to displace any water that might be inside. Step 4, Remove Ipod, shake off excess Deoxit D5 solution and allow the rest to air dry for at least two days. Be patient, you will be rewarded for it. Step 5, You are good to go.

dellbx,

If it has been in salt water I would dip it in a container full of distilled water. Use plenty of it to dissolve the salts that may have dried inside. Dry it as well as you can and then start with step 1 above.

dellbx,

Omg same thing happend to me 2 days ago my 5th geno. iPod got thrown in the wash and dryer and now it dosn't even wana turn on, so im tryin to fallow the steps here.thankx guys

unknown,

this happened to me it was in the rice for about a week and i was scared it wasnt gonna work so i just kept it in there for longer right now its still in there

rocknralph97,

2

iMike
103

have you tried restoring it? if not.... try putting it in a bag of rice for a week or so.

more info would be helpfull

Edited by: iMike ( )

0

Chris
1

Washing Powder often leaves a soapy deposit on all the anodes (negative terminals) (and a small amount over all terminals). This can short components etc and has to be removed before safely using it. Depends on whether its riskier leaving possible shorts or pulling it apart to clean it... my trouble is getting it out of the casing without destroying it :(

The battery is usually discharged after being through the wash but dont charge it till its dry and preferably cleaned even if you think its going to be fine)

wish me luck :D

0

kyle
1

if you dont want to pull it apart just make sure its turned off and try some 90% alcohol and poor it on it and it may help usually the battery should be dead after it is in contact with water liek that so it cant hurt its my go to to clean everythign

0

ozzy
1

I washed and dried my 5th gen. ipod. I left it alone for 2 weeks and charged it for two days. Very slow start up, didn`t work right for a week. I ran the battery dry and re-charged and worked fine for 1 year. Now i have a white screen , music plays, but have only white screen.

0

James
1

I heard on some program that if you put the item in a plastic bag with a box or two of rice that the rice will absorb the moisture. I would add that if you also put the device in the sun without the bag or rice, it should help dry it out. Try and disassemble it a little so the moisture can escape.

0

Jon
1

My 5th-gen Nano went through the wash TWICE before I discovered it deep in the pocket of some cargo shorts. After it sat for about a week I tried to start it up, but It was apparently dead.

Then, a couple of days later, in desperation I tried putting it into my freezer for about 4-5 hours (ostensibly to evaporate any moisture left). Then I dried it under a hot blow drier for a minute and was able to turn it on.

After re-installing the software and recharging it, the Nano is working fine. Although the battery seems not to have the life it once did, at least I can use it a couple hours at a time before recharging.

Edited by: Jon ( )

0

sabrina
1

HaRa my Ipod Nana is working after a 30 degree quick wash. Left in rice on the radiator for three and half days and couldn't resist any longer to try it out - and it works perfectly!!

0

Charles Letcher
1

I washed my iPod nano, but didn't dry it. I let it set for one day, then plugged it into the computer. There was no response, so I just left it.

About a week later, I noticed the light was flashing next to the small plug, and iTunes recognized the device. I clicked restore, and we are back in working order. Amazing!

0

RICHARD SCOTT
1

My wife sent my ipod nano through the wash and rinse cycle. After several attempts at drying, "rice", "cat litter", etc. It finally dawned on me to run down to the liquer store and after downing a six pack, I beat the Nano with a hammer. The Nano was destroyed, but it felt good!

Try this, it certainly helped my situation.

RICHARD SCOTT,

0

Aaron Hunter
1

I just washed mine and I don't know what to do. I don't have rice so I put it under a lamp. Should I put it in rice later?

My wife washed it in some shorts I had. I had heard about putting it in rice, 2 days later it works fine. The only thing I can't see is the image on the screen. Kind of cool I have no idea what song will play next, just like being at a club!

AlDude,

put it in rice it drys it out

mariedixon106,

0

manerofam
1

You can also try this immediately after the water incident to accelerate the rice trick: Take a shop vac and hold the iPod over the end of the hose (with the suction end directly over the accessory connector slot - and of course without letting the iPod get sucked int the vacuum!). You will see the moisture getting sucked from the display. Hold there for about 5 minutes. This gets a lot if the H2O out before putting the iPod in a plastic bag of dried rice already mentioned in this string (it works). Reiterate: NEVER turn it on wet! Be patient.

0

gfzd
1

What if you do turn it on wet or prematurely?

you may shorten out the circuitry...

0

Frank
1

If anyone has a slate ipod nano 5th gen 32gb and believes you may have shorted the circuitry by turning it on too soon or if it simply wont work after trying all of the steps, PLEASE SELL YOUR IPOD TO ME, and DONT buy a six pack and beat it with a hammer. Whats better? A broken ipod? A destroyed ipod? Or 20 bucks? My numbers 3one3 7two1 2fourfour7.

Thank you, Frank.