iPhone 5s battery on iPhone 5

Is it possible to upgrade the iPhone 5 battery with the iPhone 5s battery?

I mean, same connector or same size ?

The reason I ask is because according to an Apple Genius who ran a diagnostics test on my iPhone 5 (which I purchased the day it came out) my battery decline is attributed to the battery being bad and not iOS 7. I was going to buy an iPhone 5S battery rather than an iPhone 5 battery and install it in my iPhone 5. I need a new battery regardless so I wanted to know what was the smarter choice.

If you have a working iPhone I wouldn't waste my money on doing this as you'll only get a few minutes more.

Don't forget its more than just the battery here that Apple altered to gain the longer battery life difference between the new and older phones.

In any case the battery (as well as all of the other parts) for the iPhone 5s or 5c will be in short supply let alone be expensive! As Apple is currently the only supplier.

This question was posted before the new phone was torn down to inspect the connector (based on the specs not physical size & connection)

To clarify the batteries are not interchangeable!

Most Helpful Answer

no, they have different connetors. I have personally tried it and it doesn't fit them connectors unfortunately :(

I mean, same connector or same size ? UPDATE ANSWER??

There is no update it is what it is. Please review the above answers

I had the same thought (I am also having battery problems with my iPhone 5).

However, after a quick look around the iFixit site it's clear that the iPhone 5S battery is not available for purchase anyway (as of Nov 30, 2013)!

I'm just getting the iPhone5 battery. Even if we assume everything is perfectly compatible (which is a HUGE assumption that will probably blow up in our faces), the percentage change between the 5 and 5S batteries is only 8.33% ((1560-1440)/1440 = 0.08333). Normally, I expect to get ~16 hours of 'general usage' (my iPhone usually dies right before I plug it in at night). In theory, 8.33% would only bring you up to 17 hr 20 min; not exactly a difference what would justify the risky assumptions involved.

Redradioflyer, great math if the usage depletes the battery consistent, which I doubt. I go more with an exponential depletion and would like to bet that the battery will only make a difference of minutes. BTW the connectors between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S are totally different, it will not fit....excellent answer.

Thanks OldTurkey! I suspect you're right about the exponential depletion (especially for the last ~10%). Since I was arguing against the battery change I picked assumptions to make the best possible case for change (I probably should have stated that). Fortunately, your answer gets right to the heart of the issue... If the connector don't fit; it's time to quit!

I would assume you could try taking the connections off the old battery and and new battery and switch the connection and see if it works

It's a sealed battery! Just not possible or recommended, as the battery are slightly different sizes as well.

Mauro Rimicci will be eternally grateful.