Canon PowerShot A590 IS

The Canon Powershot A590 IS is an 8 megapixel digital point-and-shoot camera with a 4x optical zoom and a 2.5 inch LCD screen.

Camera indicates low battery and shuts down.

Even with fresh batteries my camera shuts down - lens closes after opening - and the low battery light flashes. Is this a common problem, and is there a fix or workaround? Thanks!

Thanks markus. I saw your answer and fixed the camera. it works just like it should with the toothpick tips under the battery contacts. I lost the web page and was not able to find it to thank you until now. I appreciate your help. Thanks

by John Blish

thanks for the feedback, glad that it worked

by markus weiher

yes - it is common

there is a workaround - like this

you can also use your preferred search engine and search for: powershot toothpick trick

++ LMAOOO Markus, you are something else. Where do you get these pics from??? LOL It seems like you have a pic in your library for every possible electronics situation.

by Majesty

should i really tell you that? - i'm a bot - lol. my library is the internet, i use search engines like every one and i use them in more than one language - nothing special at all ;-)

by markus weiher

I had a similar problem with a canon camera. The solution was to use litium batteries. The canon camera need needs the extra power.

by larry

use energizer ultimate lithium batteries...

by whiz

I read on a web site where a person solved this problem by repairing the contact in the bottom of the compartment where the battery goes in + end down. They used a slender dental pick with a crooked tip, reached under the contact, and gently bent it upward. That raised the battery up about a millimeter or so, making the tops of the two batteries even, and it then made proper contact. Apparently the springiness of the metal at the bottom of that chamber diminishes over time, and the battery descends into the compartment until it no longer makes good contact on the negative end. Sounds like the most elegant and permanent fix, if you can get a hold of a tool of that shape and delicacy. I haven't had this problem yet, but will bookmark this site (for when the inevitable happens), then I'll be prepared to deal with the issue.

by Leighe Seier

I had the same problem.

1) You have to clean the battery contacts in the camera.

2) Check the contacts of the charger (if you are using rechargable batteries).

3) See if you need to get new rechargables.

4) make sure you use rechargables with more that more that 2200mAh power ratings value .

you're right - the frist steps should be like this - but he tried that and it didn't work. many powershots have the contact problem and can be "fixed" with the toothpick trick

by markus weiher

There is often a second, concealed "button" battery that can produce these symptoms. Test or replace it. The manual has instructions for locating and removing it.

I had the same problem with a powershot A1200, and I found a proper way to fix it: I'm almost sure it may also apply to most of the powershots :

Repairing Canon Powershot Camera indicates low battery and shuts down

Mentioned Items

According to Canon customer service, one should follow the following steps to re-set your camera. It did work for me and the camera works OK

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery and memory card.

2. Close the battery door.

3. Press and hold down the on/off button for 1 minute.

4. Release the on/off button, and reinsert the battery and memory card.

5. Power the camera on.

Settings Reset

1. While the camera is on, press the menu button.

2. At the top of the menu move over to the tools tab (wrench and hammer).

3. Go all the way to the bottom of the tools menu list to "Reset All".

4. With "Reset All" highlighted press the Func./Set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Func./Set button again.

It works

A common problem with these camera's is that in the contact within the camera springiness resulting in one of the batteries sitting 2mm lower than it should and not getting a good sitting.

Ideally this should be fixed properly (idea for a ifix walkthrough) but I've not been prepared to do this as yet and settled for a workaround fix which I posted about and is already linked on this site (also below)

Camera Contact Fix

It worked for me for awhile. I had to keep doing it. Now, tonight I broke off one of the contacts, darn. Now I do not know what to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

What worked for you? If you can give us some more information, we might find a solution. Also post an image on here so we can see where and how it is broke,

by oldturkey03

See my update status below, I said I bought a parts camera on ebay and replaced the broken contacts that I broke from using the toothpick trick too many times. The contacts now work, but I still need to use the toothpick trick often.

by Cjr

i try t fix ,and have the same problem; now what??

powershot toothpick trick didnt work , now what??

thans

I tried the toothpick trick, and it seemed to work occasionally and then go back to the same old, "Change Battery" I did it for over a year and finally I broke off one of the contacts. I bought a parts camera on eBay for $10 and took the contacts out of it and put them in my own camera. At least the contacts do work but I still have to use the toothpick trick. It is really aggravating. Canon should make a better camera, shame on them.

Next time, I will not buy a Canon.

Had problem with batteries since purchase, extremely short life or "change batteries" immediately with new batteries. Bought one brand of ultimate lithium that worked the best, but still too short. Per advice here, I have bent contact up. But then I put a small piece of foam under the contact to maintain the change. Hopefully this will keep me from having to go back and re-bend the contact, thus breaking it. I'll let you know...

I'm having a problem with my Powershot A590. The camera appears locked with the lens extended. Now I can't open the battery compartment to replace the batteries. Normally, to open the compartment you slide the battery compartment lever on the cap forward and then slightly to the left as the arrow indicates but the battery container will not move left. I'm stuck with a camera with the lens fully extended but no lights or indication of power at all. No images can be seen on the view finder, no illumination at all. How can I get the battery container open to replace the batteries without breaking the camera?

Same problem with my brand new canon SX 160 when using imported batteries these do not have a flat -ve base (they have circular indentation with fine black print on it), If you use batteries with a flat base they work just fine!

Cannon should recall all the power shots. They all suffer from bad connections. Add more power and it may over come the connection problem, but that only over rides the real problem. BAD DESIGN OF THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT. I am going to try a external battery pack. Love the camera, but the battery tray was poorly engineered.

I just bought a used Powershot A590 and it has the same low battery indication even with new batteries. I suspected a contact problem so I cleaned the contacts on top and bottom of the battery case area with a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and let it dry. This seems to fix the problem, however based on what I read here I suspect the problem will recur. I like the solution with the L-shaped dental pick used to bend (pull) up the contacts SLIGHTLY and I will be doing that if the problem recurs. If you get unlucky and break off the contact you may be able to carefully fold a small square of aluminum foil and drop it into the battery hole to make contact with the remaining metal.

Poor contacts are always a big problem with low voltage D.C. a) because voltage = 'pressure' and any limited resistance [i.e. dirty contacts within the camera or on the batteries] will impede the flow of electrical current, and b) direct current tends to 'plate' any metal connections/contacts [read: fur them up]. So - thoroughly clean all connections with Isopropyl Alcohol. Also [as mentioned by others] gently re-tension the camera battery bay contacts and if possible fit a small pad of very thin foam rubber underneath each. I did this with my Fujifilm A700 [which has been annoying me for ages] and it's been fine ever since.

John Blish will be eternally grateful.