0

Kathy Dunn
1

Will a wet iPod ever work again?

My son's iPod got wet. It was left in the rain for about 10 minutes. We dried it out and sent it to Apple Care Services but they sent it back as they would not / could not fix it. This was in September of 2008. It has been sitting in the shipping box ever since. I just heard about this site on CBC radio today. Can you tell me if the iPod is fixable?

Sincere thanks,

Kathy Dunn

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , Kathy Dunn ( )

2

remacberlin

Take it apart an clean the logicboard using alcohol. Dry it thoroughly and see if that helps.

little addition from my side use rubbing alcohol - not that anybody try this with some kind of liquor ;-)

markus weiher,

Actually this applies to all sorts of electronics. I have a MacBook Pro which suffert a (water)spillage. I opened it up, left in on the shelf for 3 weeks and hey - it powered up and is working fine ever since.

remacberlin,

1

Eric Dungan
13

My son sent his iPod Shuffle through the wash in early December of 2009. I did the following after searching the internet:

1. Put the Shuffle into a container of rice (rice will absorb moisture) for 3 weeks. Connected it to the charge/sync cable. No response.

2. Left the Shuffle on my desk for 4 weeks. Did nothing with it. After 4 weeks I connected the Shuffle to its charging/sync cable. It started charging and Itunes recognized it.

It seems it just needed a bunch of time to completely dry out.

Your mileage may vary with this approach, since the Shuffle has no display.

0

Chris Cline
614

This is a common problem. Make sure it is TOTALLY DRY before you power it on.

Edited by: Chris Cline ( )

0

Pete Vandrew
37

The rule of thumb for any electronic device is to remove the power as soon as possible. The water does not damage the electronics; it is the current passing through the water that causes the damage. When the current passes through the water it sets up electrolysis which is the current in the water eating away at the copper traces on the circuit board which is evidenced by a green slim on the circuit board.

I dropped my phone in the toilet and immediately removed the battery. I then took the phone completely apart and rinsed all the parts under fresh water and used a hair dryer at a distance of about 12 inches so not to melt any plastic and dried each component, pc boards, membrane keypad, and the display board. The display board was the most challenging because water got between the layers. When everything was dry I assembled all the components and powered the phone on and it was like new.

Pete

KC9QAB

thats right, but in case of the iPods you will have a tiny problem - the battery is soldered to the logic board - there is no way to be as fast as you can be with a regular cell phone's battery.

markus weiher,

0

Jeffrey Fisher
1

Try putting your device in rice:

http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2010/11/...