The Golf Mk4 was first introduced in August 1997, followed by a notchback version (VW Bora or, in North America, again VW Jetta) in August 1998 and a new Golf Variant (estate) in March 1999.

My VW Golf Hard start, how do I resolve this problem?

My VW Golf has a hard start whereby i have to start it more than 2 to 3 times for the ignition to get the car started. Can everyone help show me how to fix this problem.

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, I'm not a mechanic but it would probably be helpful to add more detail. I'd suggest adding something like "i can hear the normal sound of it wanting to start but it doesn't catch until the 3rd time" and/or "the first two times there's no sound at all and third it starts normally"... cheers and good luck having a sick car sucks!

Take it to AutoZone and get a free computer diagnostic. Then you'll know what may need to be fixed.

Good morning sir? Pls which scantool works flawlessly with vw golf mk 3 1993 model and above?

Blusher I don't know of any. As for working flawlessly, it hasn't been invented, even a hammer doesn't work flawlessly ;-)

well it helps if ya say its a gas od diesel engine to start

if its diesel engine it has 4 diesel heater in each cilinder usually after 150 000 kms or sometimes before its adviceable to change coz it doesnt heat as before and the end of the heater that is inside the cilinder cant get incandescent so its a sinonym of a bad start of engine.

and more if just one of these heaters is failing ...the engine might start but till it heats makes lots of smoke

My sons Golf was hard to start when it was hot. I was told it's the speed sensor. I purchased one and replaced it. It's located right behind the oil filter so you must remove oil and filter first. There are two bolts that hold it in place, you can't see them, but you can feel them. It wasn't that difficult to replace. Now the car starts everytime. It doesn't stall out either.

It has a bucking noise after hard start

I had a similar problem with my 2001 VW Golf 1.8 turbo. A mechanic advised me that the speed or crank shaft sensor may be bad. It’s the one right behind the oil filter. I changed it myself and that fixed the problem. Good luck. Henry

Hi, i have a 1.6 Golf mk1 carb 1995 petrol. I battle to start the car in the morning, 1st and 2nd and up to 5times i need to start it before it takes.Sometimes when i try to start it, its like there is a miss somewhere, but if i drive, it drives normal, and when i switch the car off , and start it again, i battle again.. Can anyone give me advice of how to solve this problem.

Thank you

Mk 1 don't have speed sensor or CKP sensor so I think your ignition timing jumped like 3 to 5 belt teeth.

Also Check number 16

And 18 fuse respectively be sure there are intact.

Your fuel pump is directly mounted on the engine block if it's bad can cause hard start, I am also having a feeling there is clog somewhere within your fuel system that is cutting the quantity of fuel going into your combustion chamber 80% off like clogged fuel filter or something.

1995 vw golf can't never be vw mk1, you are confusing mk 3 for 1,

vw mk 1 production started in 1974 and ends in 1983,

vw golf mk 2 started 1983 and stopped production in 1992

mk 3 production began in 1992 and end production in 1998

If your car is 1995 from the vin or chasis number 10th digit, then your car is Mk 3 not mk1 fully electric carb from Robert bosch company or direct injected. Mk one is not electric carb although some have part electric choke and rest manual carb.

You need to stipulate clearly if it's 1.6 L, 2.0 or 2.2 L direct injected cos this engine model have features that 1.8, 1.9, 1.3 L vw golf engine don't have, like some sensors like CKP and MAF sensors.

So that folks who don't have a comprehensive historic knowledge of vw golf mk won't give you a random answer like I did previously before looking at your poor information presentation.

Golf chico 1.3 1996 model just didnt start at all as driving friday but i dont know what the problem could be

Any ideas where to start on this problem tried lastnite and this morning no go..could it be electrical fault or

Musoke Lawrence will be eternally grateful.