My VW Golf Hard start, how do I resolve this problem?

My VW Golf has a hard start whereby i have to start it more than 2 to 3 times for the ignition to get the car started. Can everyone help show me how to fix this problem.

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, I'm not a mechanic but it would probably be helpful to add more detail. I'd suggest adding something like "i can hear the normal sound of it wanting to start but it doesn't catch until the 3rd time" and/or "the first two times there's no sound at all and third it starts normally"... cheers and good luck having a sick car sucks!

Take it to AutoZone and get a free computer diagnostic. Then you'll know what may need to be fixed.

My sons Golf was hard to start when it was hot. I was told it's the speed sensor. I purchased one and replaced it. It's located right behind the oil filter so you must remove oil and filter first. There are two bolts that hold it in place, you can't see them, but you can feel them. It wasn't that difficult to replace. Now the car starts everytime. It doesn't stall out either.

It has a bucking noise after hard start

well it helps if ya say its a gas od diesel engine to start

if its diesel engine it has 4 diesel heater in each cilinder usually after 150 000 kms or sometimes before its adviceable to change coz it doesnt heat as before and the end of the heater that is inside the cilinder cant get incandescent so its a sinonym of a bad start of engine.

and more if just one of these heaters is failing ...the engine might start but till it heats makes lots of smoke

I had a similar problem with my 2001 VW Golf 1.8 turbo. A mechanic advised me that the speed or crank shaft sensor may be bad. It’s the one right behind the oil filter. I changed it myself and that fixed the problem. Good luck. Henry

I have golf make 3 1.8L single point injected (that's electric carburetor) , everything seems OK, it crank, fuel pump supplies fuel very OK, spark OK, but works and stop randomly and continue hard start with a smell like unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, each time I tried starting it, it stops when the engine get heated up.. I need help out this mess else selling the car is my next plan.

Hi, Have you had the OBDII port scanned to see if there are any fault codes logged which may give an indication of the problem?

Musoke Lawrence will be eternally grateful.