Connect and command your Apple computer wirelessly.

Can a keyboard be repaired after small liquid spill?

My Mac bluetooth aluminium keyboard suffered a small kitten-induced water spill. I dried it out, but predictably, it's now behaving a bit strangely. Most of the keys are fine, but a few are now operating in pairs, e.g. if you hit either the Y or the U key, you'll get the same output which is 'YU'. There are six pairs of keys that are behaving like this: HJ, NM, YU, 67, ;/, and space'.

Is it even possible to repair this keyboard? I hate the idea that I'm going to have to throw out an otherwise perfectly usable bit of kit.

Just to offer anecdotal evidence: I saved it successfully from a coffee spill (with cream).

Took out the batteries immediately. Then washed is generously with copious amounts of tap water. Shaked and wiped off visible water droplets. Then set it aside for a few days to dry.

The main points are: Don't be afraid to use LOTS of (clean) water. Tap water is usually good enough, but use distilled water if you're living in an area with 'hard' water. It's quite difficult to harm unpowered (!) electronics with just water.

The other: Let dry thoroughly. Very thoroughly.

ok, will take my dead one with me to shower next time;) Thanks for the idea!

I accidentally spilled some coffee on my keyboard and I tried rinsing it with tap water. Gave it few days to dry but now I got 4-5 keys are not working - what to do now ?

just saved my keyboard with the tap water hint. washed it a couple of times and left it drying for 5 days. all the keys are working. thanks for the idea!! :)

sorry to say that - but as far as i could google it, there is no real good way to disassemble the keyboard

the keycaps are not the problem

but the keyboard itself would be a togh thing to do and will probably end with a total damaged keyboard (but since the keyboard won't work that way either - you have nothing to lose)

If it was just water, there is hope. Soft drinks are much more difficult. I'm not familiar with the keyboard your are referring to but just Googled a photo of one. So, it's a separate keyboard, not part of a computer. I'm guessing that there is still water in it.

I would suggest giving it a good shake, maybe over a paper towel so you can see if any water comes out.

After that, put it in a "warm" place, you don't want to melt anything, and every few hours turn it upside down or on its side.

If you are certain it was clean tap water, that's about it. If you suspect the water may have had something in it - hope not sugar - then soak the keyboard in distilled water then do the drying stuff again.

I have managed to recover a laptop keyboard with a can of soft drink spilled on it by removing the keyboard and putting it in a dishwasher then rinsing with distilled water.

you can't compare a laptop keyboard with those apple aluminum keyboards - i disassemble every notebookkeyboard to the bone - if it has to be - but those "creatures" where glued together - nice looking disposable keyboards

Just a tip I picked up - 1. Take out the batteries first and dont connect any power

2. Use your house vacuum to dry out the electronics - dont blow as it drives the water further into the electronics .

3. Put it in a drying agent such as rice for a week

4. Then batteries and power and hopefully your electronics are back up and running

Can be used for cellphones also

I ruined many a mac keyboard with spilled beverages and have never been able to bring them back from malfunctioning....though I heard having a can of compressed air (Office Depot® Brand Cleaning Duster, 10 Oz.) and spray it immediately after the spill sometimes works...

Just run it through the clothes washer on warm, then throw in dryer on delicate setting for no more than one cycle.

good joke right? from what i've read, i'll believe anything at this point!

I believe you'd place the keyboard on one of those add ons they have for drying shoes in the drier. You don't want to simply throw your keyboard in the drier.

The washer and dryer thing is obviously a joke, but I have successfully cleaned several wired keyboards in the dishwasher. I might try it with my Magic Keyboard; it's already broken from the water spill, so why not?

I actually do have the same problem, but im using a touchscreen soooo.... anyways yeah. What should i do? any suggestions??

I washed my keyboard in dishwasher after taking the keys out. then dried it with hair dryer and left it to further dry for a couple days. Put all the keys back and it works like brand new

but make sure it dries completely before hooking it up the iMac

All the best

My iMac aluminum keyboard just went bad from humidity, I'm assuming. So I pulled out the aluminum keyboard (exact same style) from my older iMac and that has the same problem: Won't type spaces, Tab, caps, and I get pairings of letters: hj, ui, etc. So, just for giggles,I hooked up a $20.00 Logitech wireless keyboard from one of my PC's. Works great. I hate the feel of the iMac keyboards and their oversensitivity anyway. If it keeps working I'll probably just leave it. I've had several of the aluminum iMac keyboards go bad over the years (never from spilling liquids, just use and humidity) and the only fix is to drive 1 ½ hours to Apple and get a new keyboard. Sometimes free, mostly $100.00. Getting tired of how delicate their products are...... Simple, inexpensive fix (I'm using it to type this answer): Logitech $20.00 wireless keyboard with USB key. Try it. So much better feel too.

How much is a desktop gateway computer keyboard

Suw Charman will be eternally grateful.