Find solutions to your computer repair questions.

What are some ways to get rid of viruses, malware, and spyware?

Whats the best software to remove and keepsafe for someone who does not practice safe surfing?

What kind of operating system do you have?

as rab777hp said - if you use a mac or a linux machine you dont have to be worried

macafee and norton are the big names - same as kaspersky - but to be honest - the make all the same #!%§

i had them years ago - norton was slooooowwwwing down everything and macafee as above stated - they had some funny stuff - but sorry - i don't like it

my 100% favourite is avast, free for private users, fast, self updating many times per day

Actually I've known kaspersky to slow down computers a heck of a lot

For macs you don't need to worry about viruses, just practice common sense and don't download strange stuff. No pr0n, etc.

For PCs, they're all the same, MacAfee, Norton, they're all the same and will all keep you safe, I really can't point you to one in particular (though MacAfee just had an embarrassing problem where they pushed an update that screwed up people's comps, so maybe not them). Again, practice common sense.

For linux, you do not need to worry at all. (Hence, linux is king)

The ones I recommend are Zone Alarm Free for the firewall and AVG Free for the anti-virus. I also usually recommend Firefox as the more secure browser. One thing to be careful of is don't have more than one anti-virus on the unit at one time. They will conflict with each other.For the other problems I would use Spyware Blaster and Adaware. To find current locations for these just google their names. One other caveat when downloading Zone Alarm or AVG antivirus be careful in your selection as both also have versions you pay for. You want the free ones. Ralph

The other answers here have great information on antivirus software to monitor your computer on a regular basis, I am a student worker at the on campus repair center at my school and we use multiple antivirus software to remove viruses. If you suspect you already have viruses I would suggest to use multiple different scanners to remove all viruses since some antivirus software will find viruses that others did not. After that you will want to remove all of the software that was installed and choose one antivirus software to use on a regular basis. I would also recommend running CCleaner before the virus scan since this can help clear a few viruses out that may be in the temporary files on the computer. Also Defraggler is a great utility for keeping your computer running quikely and smoothly.

Some of the software we use for virus scans:

- Emsisoft anti-malware also known as A squared

- Clamwin antivirus

- Malwarebytes anti-malware

- Super Antispyware

- spybot

as for live everyday antivirus engines I would suggest one of the bigger names like norton, mcafee, AVG, and NOD32. Just remember to remove the other scanning software after it has scanned the computer and removed the viruses, you don't want 5 antiviruses running all the time since this is a huge waste of computer resources.

Hope this helps. :)

frolffiction will be eternally grateful.