5 beeps with a black screen

Mine is a Dell inspiron and it's doing 5 beeps with a black screen... can you help me with this one?

kasie, it will help if you give us the exact model of your Dell. The POST diagnostic beeps for most Dell laptops :

One= Possible system board failure —BIOS ROM checksum failure

Two= No RAM detected NOTE: If you installed or replaced the memory module, ensure that the memory module is seated properly.

Three= Possible system board failure — Chipset error

Four= RAM read/write failure

Five= Real Time Clock failure

Six= Video card or chip failure

Seven= Processor failure

Eight= Display failure

So, there could be a problem either with the CMOS battery or the motherboard. Hope this helps, good luck.

olturky03 Thank You So much it helped me

thank you

very helpful

in my case 5 beeps ( the rtc )

This can either be a Ram problem or some other hardware malfunction. All you need to do is take your Ram modules apart one by one and then try plug in them back one by one by powering on your PC each time. In this way you will be able to confirm that whether its the ram or any other built in hardware problem. Also check if your motherboard`s backup battery is working fine.

kasie will be eternally grateful.