Released June 2009 / 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

Refitting bezel after removal with heat gun

I am replacing the LCD on a MacBook Pro mid 2009, anti glare version. this is the one with the grey bezel around, that is glued on, that needs to be removed with a heat gun. I am nearly ready to start with my special IFixit toolkit, but have one question.....

One of the IFixit guides (the first one) indicates that the adhesive remnants should be cleaned off with isopropyl alchohol and then 3M VHB 4905 tape used to fix the bezel back on. The latest guide does not mention this.

So do I need to re-adhere? And if I do, is there an alternative to 3M VHB 4905? So far I can only find that tape for £100 a roll!

Thanks, Simon

Boy the tape is worth more than gold in the UK ;-{ 100 Pounds Ouch!

What you need is a thin double adhesive tape that doesn't dry out and is not permanent. Check out a local crafts/hobby store to see if they have something like photo mount tape. Of course you could order it from IFIXIT Adhesive Strips which will work here as well (will need to cut them down a bit).

iPad Adhesive Strips Image

Product

iPad Adhesive Strips

$9.95

Simon will be eternally grateful.