A simple hair dryer designed to dry hair. Repair of this device is straightforward.

no heat comes out but it's on, just blowing cold

well that "short, descriptive question"statement says it all.

I'm an elderly woman, don't have a solder thingy. is there any hope?

Basically a hair dryer has three major components; a switch, a fan and a heating element. The switch turns it on/off, modern hair dryers often have cold buttons as well as speed switches. The fan blows cool air from the back of the hair dryer to the front. The heating element warms the air as it passes through the front. It sounds like the heating element has gone out on your hair dryer since it's still turning on and blowing, it just isn't warming the air.

Someone put together an iFixit guide for replacing the heating element in a hair dryer but the model and process will likely be slightly different for you.

Installing hair dyer heating element

It does sound like it will involve soldering and to be honest I'm not sure where you could even acquire a replacement heating element. With that in mind this might, and I hate to say this, be a situation where replacement is the better option.

Before replacing though you might check some general electronic repair shops in your area, they may be able to repair it for less than the cost of a new one.

Hopefully it works out for you!

I have one I will send you? Its a CHI hair dryer and I am not going to fix it- What is your address?

That chi hair dryer still an option? I can fix it, and know someone who would want it, but their too exspensive

This has happened to me on two different models. If there is a "cold blast" feature, it may be stuck. Unplug hair dryer and check around the cold blast button for a small screw.

With a small screwdriver, loosen the screw only about a 1/4-1/2 turn. This should be enough to loosen up the cold blast button.

When I turned my hair dryer on, I had heat once again.

There's also a thermal fuse inside so that the thing doesn't overheat and catch fire. If you don't keep the lint screen clean, they will overheat and open electrically. I don't think I'd bother fixing it unless you have the know-how to do it yourself, as replacing it wouldn't be that much.

Would love to have a dryer like that. None sold to my knowledge. My hair has issues and the best thing for drying is cold heat only. Have a setting-where you press the button continuously. Not what I am looking for.

elizabethbarry will be eternally grateful.