Movies, music, multimedia in your home. Use our guides to repair home entertainment devices from surround sound A/V receivers or conventional stereo receivers to power amplifiers, preamplifier, speakers, and iPod/Bluetooth speaker systems.

How to fix sound issue in Pioneer Stereo receiver?

when i turn the volume knob sometimes the sound keeps going on and off. Please help.

When everything is connected properly on my pioneer elite receiver their is no sound from the speakers. But the display of channels is on.

Most Helpful Answer

a few more informations would make it easier to answer this.

but in general - most "older" (or better) stereo recievers had a potentiometer to regulate the volume - if that part is faulty (scuffed contacts) the volume knob can not longer work properly

but to see if it's defective you have to open it - maybe exchanging the part would be easier then cleaning/repairing it (if that would be possible for the used potentiometer in this device)

STOP''italic text'' Before you pull out the soldering iron try this. Go to your local electronics parts store and get a can of Electronic control cleaner. It used to be known as "Tuner Cleaner." #

1.Unplug the amp

2.Open the case and locate the control in question, the master volume control will usually have two sections that is two pots siamesed together.

3.Find an opening in the case of each section, very few are totally sealed, and with the extension tube on the spray can squirt some cleaner in each section while rotating the volume control knob.

4.While your inside there give the rest of the controls and switches a shot. It won't hurt them and they probably need it anyway.

This will cure 99% of volume control problems. It is also a lot less dangerous and cheaper than replacing the control!

I have an older amplifier (which is what your volume knob controls) that has the same problem. It's as Markus says. There are dead spots on the potentiometer from corrosion. I have repaired them, myself, but it will be easier to replace. You decide.

You will have to open the receiver, access the pot, desolder and remove it, then open the pot. This is the hard part, since it was never intended to be repaired. Be careful how you open it, or it will never look the same. There is a wiper arm that is moved across a series of ridges, which is just resistive wire wound around a core. The way to remove the corrosion is to burnish both the wiper and the resistor face with emery cloth. Reassmble and reinstall.

Now, since you've destroyed the pot, search the internet (eBay, etc) using the part number off the case of the pot (I hope you saved it).

In my 35 years of repairing electronics, my success with "cleaners" has been much lower than 99%. I'd rate it closer to 5%, but even when there's success, the problem always returns. You can't find a genuine cleaner, either, since trichlorotrifluoroethane has been outlawed for consumers. Cleaning a pot is like sprinkling salt on a bird's tail: if you've gone to the trouble to get that close, just reach out and catch the bird. Moral, try the cleaner (whatever that is), but while you're in there, replace the pot.

my pioneer ..VSX D307 receiver ,...when I turn up the volume,...it powers off,...it just started doing this after months of working fine

I get no sound at all

lancslad55 will be eternally grateful.