Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

My dvd drive is broken - is it fixable?

I dropped my MacBook Pro - everything is fine except for my dvd drive. It chugs along, but doesn't do anything. It will suck in the dvd but won't play it.

Can I open the computer up and see if there's anything obvious to fix?

Yes you can open it and open the DVD drive. iFixit has instructions and parts to replace it, if needed. We doo need to know the exact model that you have to give you the right part and instructions. Remove the battery and look in the compartment and on the side walls for this info.

Unfortunately the ultraslim dvd drives (9,5mm) in MacBooks and MBPs are failing a lot. So far i never found anything obvious to fix, other than replacig the whole drive.

Jen will be eternally grateful.