Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

MacBook Pro 13" Internal drive randomly ejecting itself when in use.

I am using a 2nd internal drive with an optical bay caddy. However, whenever I use the 2nd drive it will randomly eject itself after maybe 5-10 minutes of use. This drive only does this internally and works perfectly externally. I have tried other drives in the same slot and they all work fine. The drive also works fine in the normal hard drive slot. I am tired of having this issue and have yet to find a solution. Do I need to replace the drive? It is still under warranty as I got it yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 (MacBookPro 9,2)

This is a "known issue" when the optibay drive is not the boot drive. Think about it. You are sucking a lot of power running two HDs and your Energy Saver is trying to adjust for that. You can change the Energy Saver settings... but that will shorten battery life. Using an SSD would draw less energy also.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

I have the same problem. If i put SSD in the optical bay and HDD in the main bay and boot from SSD, would the problem be solved?

Would it cause any conflicts due to the fact that the SSD is a SATA iii and the optical bay is slower? I would hate it if the SSD with the OS on it would suddently get unmounted!

Hello, I had the same problem with a Macbook Pro 13 mid 2012. I have a 250 Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD running in the optibay and a 1 Tb Toshiba HDD in the main bay. After 1 week of this setting, the HDD starts to eject itself, in many different circumstances. How I fixit (after several things I've tested, with no results, such as changing the Energy Saver settings and others): I bought a new internal hard drive cable from ifixit. Problem solved! I'm running without any problems for more than 2 weeks, with lots of data transfer (reading and writing) between the HDD and the SSD and other external drives. I really think that this broken cable was the problem. Maybe it got damaged during the HDD substitution processes (I did it at least 3 times in the past 3 years)

Hope this post helps anyone with the same problem

Bruno can you please share the link for that cable ?

Hi. Did you find a solution to it. I tried to turn down the sleep time to 5 minutes, but yet the disk ejects itself. It never happened before.

Please let me know if you have fixed it and how?

Cheers

Asad Palekar ''- For future reference you posted a Question in the place where only Answers belong. Please use the add comment link to the appropriate Answer, Question. or. create your own original Question.

Brady Bilderback will be eternally grateful.