MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2011 Repair

Released October 24, 2011 / 2.2, 2.4, or 2.5 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Can I install a second SSD in place of the superdrive?

I just installed a 960 GB SSD to replace the HDD in this MacBook Pro.

Can I install a second SSD of the same capacity using the Second Hard drive kit sold by iFixit in the Superdrive Bay?

Is the procedure the same as if I were replacing the superdrive with an HDD or Hybrid?

Most Helpful Answer

Yes you can this guide will run you though how to install the second SSD, be careful when ordering the caddy as there are two sizes, one for Macbook Pros (Slim) and one for iMacs (normal).

I hope this helps, if you need any more please just ask.

Cheers

Brendan Mills

Thank you.....Can the two drives be partitioned/configured to act as a single drive?

by jfsmith1222

There are terminal commands and AppleScripts you can run to make a HDD and a SSD run as a fusion drive, but i haven't done this myself, i'm sure the same would apply to two SSDs. A quick search on google for "make your own fusion drive" will point you in the right direction.

by Brendan Mills

Thanks Brendan for all the help... I wasn't familiar with the term "fusion drive" and that makes all the difference...

by jfsmith1222

jfsmith1222 will be eternally grateful.