Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why does my iPhone shut down with 15% battery remaining

I just installed my new iPhone 3GS battery and reset the phone's battery gauge by draining the battery completely and recharging it for 6 hours.

However, the gauge seems to be way off now. My phone has died 3 times when the gauge indicated I still had 10-20% left. This is extremely frustrating since I don't really know how much life I really have when I'm out and away from an outlet.

Any advice?

warranty on it?

The phone's fine since I've used it for almost a year with the original battery and never had that issue. The problem seems to be the new battery I got from iFixit.

first of all - these kind of batteries will reach full power after ~5 load cycles

since your phone "thinks" that the other battery is inserted, you have to recalibrate those settings (discharging untill it went out, charging to 100% and let the phone connected to the charger 2 more hours - use the wall charger for that)

you can read more about this specific topic on macrumors

Markus, I had already gone through more than 5 cycles and I had recalibrated the battery 3x. Just yesterday the phone died with 20% showing on the battery indicator.

Still not sure if the battery could be defective or if the phone just doesn't like non-OEM batteries.

batteries are sometimes faulty - i have an old PowerBook battery that shows totally garbage data - like 300% capacity compared to the regular capacity. it goes from a working time of 20 hours to switching off within seconds - so everything is possible

wlakow will be eternally grateful.