Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Swapping out logic board components?

Hi. I have a 1st generation MB Pro (2ghz Core Duo processor, radeon x1600 card), from the very first that came out. I've upgraded about as much as I can on this computer without swapping out the logic board- RAM (up to the 2GB max it allows) and hard drive. I even swapped out a fan since this one was one of the models with that mysterious buzzing sound.

However, my computer sometimes shuts down at random times, and I think it's either because of the temperature sensor, or the graphics card or processor go nuts at some point and just turn the whole thing off. I suspect it is because of this, because it usually acts up during graphics-heavy operations (Photoshop, watching too many videos, trying to rip a DVD, etc).

My question is, is there a way I can swap the logic board out for a better one (from a later MB Pro model), or am I better off buying a new computer if I want to upgrade?

For the kind of upgrade you want I would recommend a new laptop. You should be able to either sell your unit or use it as a trade in on a newer model. I am going to include one link you could use to trade your computer. If you just want to sell ifixit sometimes buys computers. Ralph

http://www.powermax.com/

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just feeling a bit McGyver-ish and thought maybe that move would save me a few bucks. Then I saw the instructions for changing a logic board and it's just not worth the hassle.

Thanks for your help!

santiagocastill will be eternally grateful.