Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Have I damaged my hard drive?

So I've recently dented my laptop around an inch below the right arrow key, and it was working fine until I switched it off and turned it back on, and now it has become ridiculously slow when I start using any programs or browsers (including finder), and then the wheel of death comes up, forcing me to restart my laptop manually. My laptop is only around 10 months old, have I damaged it, what can I do to fix the problem?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Is the dent quite substantial? as there is enough of an airflow space between the drive and the palm rest to allow for some movement, but if its a big dent, it may be putting pressure on the top of the drive. I would open the machine up and push the dent out. (it may not look as pretty as it once did, but aluminium stretches easily, so you will be able to straighten it a bit), then i'd check the connections between the HD and the logic board, as it may have wiggled loose with the damage.

Other than that, i'd back up your data and replace the hard drive to be sure, as it can only get worse if the drive is failing. (check the disks status by running a disk repair on it in disk utility too)

14tehts1 will be eternally grateful.