Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

Can running linux on a Mac cause CPU damage?

Someone on IRC claimed that running Linux on your Mac may cause CPU damage. The reason for this, he claims, is that Linux lacks a proper SMC driver which causes the CPU to be overvolted. Is this true? It seems like FUD to me.

No, I myself have run linux just fine over boot camp as well as hundreds and thousands of others out there. It's a regular and not at all risky process. Safer than installing windows :).

Have you run Linux for long periods of time with high CPU load? I'm just making sure :)

I've compiled on it- but look, there's no need to worry, some guy was having fun with you and trying to scare you, it happens, its the internet. Or, it's some 8 year old kid who has no idea what he's talking about, it's the internet.

No, with macs especially, all of the CPU voltages and frequencies are strictly controlled by the computer's firmware. Also, CPU's can't really be damaged, they either are dead, or they work, nothing in-between. I have ran Linux on my Powermac G4 MDD for almost a year, and my Mac mini (Via VirtualBox) for a few weeks, and they both seem like they are running just like normal.

But the claim is that this is only a problem with Intel Macs and you only ran Linux via VirtualBox, not natively on your Mac Mini.

That the CPU voltages are controlled by the hardware is something I would assume, though. I just can't verify it.

Yes, most likelly, CPU volatge is controlled by hardware. It is on PC's and if it wasn't on macs, there would be plenty of of Intel Mac overclocking utilities out there.

Emil Eriksson will be eternally grateful.