8

Tyler Farrar
97

NANDJ_ Find flash media and keep out ERROR FIX!

So if you are ever messing around with your iPhone 5 and you put it back together and come across the : " cannot find flash media or FIND flash media and keep out error " and this will not let you boot properly.It gives you the red screen of death, it can give you just this error code and restart, or just the apple logo and restarts.

I found the fix, Finally. I believe I am the first to find this, and it is relatively simple to fix. This is probably my first post to the internet that can actually help a majority of people that i've seen with this error and no fix for it yet. So from what I've experienced it's due to your front camera sensor assembly connector being damaged. The connectors on these things are extremely fragile and the connector seems to bow like a banana fairly easy.

FIX:

So here is a way to try to narrow out the problem. Hook up only the LCD/Digitzer connector only, and "hard reset your phone" and see if it starts back up :) . if it does, then you've found out that its for sure the front camera connector.

Also there are 2 parts to this 3rd connector, there is the 1.Proximity SENSOR and the 2 .FRONT CAMERA are soldered together like an assembly, i highly recommend purchasing the assembly (front camera and proximity sensor) and not just the front camera flex cable as it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to install. and i mean DIFFICULT.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Tyler Farrar ( )

!@#$ dude, I was getting that error so I opened up my phone to check it out, no signs of water damage or anything, go over to a genius bar and they run the standard restore (with a dfu attempt) and get an error, so they try it a second time and get that kernel error, some lady took the phone to the back and comes back to me in 10min and says your phone has water damage!@!@!@!@ i almost went berserk, I knew there was no water damage i just looked at an indicator a few hours before. She tried to make me pay 220$, I took my phone back home and found this post. Was skeptical but tried this idea as I had nothing to lose, I left the last connector (front camera connector) off and what do you know my phone booted. Many thanks man saved me from my injustice. Dumb lady should get fired. Never expected this from Apple.

Strategic Plan,

Tyler i took 3 hours tonight solving this problem. After mounting and dismounting cables, see threads on internet, pray god, i resolved. IT'S AN ASSEMBLY ISSUE. The proximity sensor has a belzel around. When you unmount from the old lcd assembly to mount in the new one, may be you mounted upsidedown, this shortcircuits the proximity sensor leads. Try and tell me :D good night

darke,

great post!

Jc5278,

I think this is my problem. so the solution is just to buy the new thing?

Ron,

Yep, worked like a charm for me by buying a new one. No idea how this happens but I know that replacing the front camera etc works :)

Patrick Lee,

3

Tommy
247

This is true, I own a repair shop and a customer tried a home repair and got this. The problem is with the seating of the front camera assembly. Sometimes it seems like its down properly but its not, like Tyler said above take the connector out and boot it. Then seat it properly and see does it still work. Well done Tyler, not many people post this up when they find the problem

i did what you said tommy, but the only thing that worked was my earpiece. More suggestions?

Jose Miguel,

Make sure when you replace the front camera onto the new screen that the connectors are in the right place for the earpiece to make contact with. Also disconnect all cables again and re seat them and make sure cable bracket is re fitted

Tommy,

Now I bought Another proximity/camera assembly and installed it but still got this error?

Jose Miguel,

P.s and when I booted it up my iPhone get super hot! Only happens when 3rd connector is connected.

Jose Miguel,

1

neworleanscomputer
13

Had this problem on an iPad 4 Retina... Replaced the back camera and all was fine. :)

Let's keep it professional in here, ok? There will always be "know-it-alls" on tech boards that pride themselves on their superior intellect. There's no point in arguing with or letting them get under your skin. And for what, a stupid phone? At what point, do you realize that you aren't in control of your technology and it controls you? This type of behavior degrades the integrity of this site and must stop immediately.

neworleanscomputer,

1

sam
37

Nand Flash Errors at Boot up are usually caused by the iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C Front Camera/Proximity Flex Cable. Its either a damaged cable or the connector is on incorrectly. Sometimes when connectors on wrong u will get a RED Screen of Death. Do not Panic....Just swap out the Front Camera/ Proximity Flex Cable and you will be ok.

I have also seen Nand Flash errors on iPad 4G as well. I fixed this by replacing one of the flex cables. You just have to disconnect each flex cable at bootup 1 by 1 until you figure which is bad . Then replace it.......

FYI.... On the 5S and 5C be real careful when connecting the Prox cable. The Connector is offset and may snap in the wrong way...Be Careful......

''Hey guys...As to NAND FLASH ERROR at boot.....

We have repaired over 5,000 iPhones in the last 2 years and have seen the NAND FLASH ERROR only about 10 times total. Each time on iPhone 5/5S/5C i was able to simply replace Front Camera/Proximity Sensor Flex Cable with a new one and error would go away 100% of the time..... FYI' do not panic !!!!!http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/279618-...

Edited by: sam ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

1

Mimers
13

I dont think is some flex cables in my case.

I have tried to put my motherboard the defective one in another iPhone 5 that is working all fine, but still i get the error code and NAND flahmediakeepout something. So i am pretty sure there is something wrong with the motherboard ;(

I am going to try sending it to apple, its still under warranty though..

0

jules rost
1

I was pulling my hair out about this thinking I had been sent faulty screens and wondering if Apple had intruduced an update to check if screens were genuine or something! Your fix works great!

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH NOT CORRECT! this is NOT THE ONLY SOLUTION AnD this Problem has various causes! LOOK ----> i reflow the iphone 5 on 170c for 29 secs (not too close avcorse) l BCZ OF WIFI Module issue!which sometimes see networks and sometimes not ! the antenna is fine ! THEN ive LET IT Cool DOWN REASSEMBLED IT! and guess what ? then THIS ISSUE APPEARS !!!!!!! I CHANGED ALSO A NEW FULL LCD +DIGITIZER ASSEMBLY ! i removed all front back AND front camera ASSSENMBLY I OPENED THE ALUMINIUM CAGE CORRECTLY AND i removed 2 capacitors that should fix it ,BUT NOT!!!STILL REMAIN WITH THIS ERROR AND NO RESTORE therefore MY QUESTION IS THE U2 MIGHT BE CAUSING THIS ISSUE ? EVERYTHING ! has been tried !!!!!! SERIOUSLY! AND THE NAND SEEMS TO BE OK! WHAT DOES OM TESLA HAS TO SAY ABOUT IT ? WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS ???????DO YOU KNOW ? let ME GUESS? ) NO ONE WILL ANSWER THIS !! THAT BCZ NO ONE HAS THE REAL SOLUTION

MASTA KAHUNA,

0

Johan
25

Hi Guys,

It is true indeed. I own a repairshop in the Netherlands and somehow the sensor creates trouble sometimes. When the connector is not connected, the iPhone starts normally. But what do we do wrong? I always replace the sensor from the old screen to the new screen very carefully. The sensor has got some adhisive under the two gold ear speaker-connectors. Thats where I carefully stick a small screwdriver to dissemble the sensor (see picture).

I assume this is the safest way to disassemble the sensor (without damaging it) from the old screen. Do you guys do it the same way or do you have other methods? There must be something we're missing in this whole thing.. What exactly do we damage on the sensor-cable or connector?

Thanks in advance,

Johan

MASTA KAHUNA,

@Mista -- Firstly I have lot of circuit level repair on these boards a d just a FYI 170c would NOT reflow the board. It is lead free so you would need a much higher temp unless you where adding some other allow such as tin with a lower melting temp to reflow at that low temp. So that made NO SENSE, second that WiFi issue sounds like you need to replace a inductor and/or a cap or two so I have no idea why your trying to reflow the board. Thirdly you admitted that the issue cropped up after your "reflow" attempt so I will bet you damaged something and your vague descriptions are not enough for a diag. By the sounds of it you need to go back and educate yourself further with regards to components electronics and soldering skills before I would suggest you attempt any further circuit work. People need to have a good understanding of these things before even attempting rework ..... :/

ricoricci,

0

brisbane wholesalers
1

HI GUYS,

m a mobile repair tech in australia since 7 years now and own few franchises here in same field..(repair and unlocking)

the whole thing which goes wrong while we take off the proximity cable in iphone 5 is it shorts with the lcd bezel (alluminium plate under lcd).

and secondly , what i experienced is when u take off the proxy flex from board and put it back on.. make sure u take ur time and b calm and gentle. try to use tweesers to the best possible.(non stativ ones)

i 2 iphone 5 board by changing screens with my metal screw driver and hands.. .coz of static current in human body..

NICE POST..

0

Mimers
13

I have a iPhone 5, i have changed the back housing and the LCD. Now i am getting crash all the time, and also NAND error. In the report it says, panic and also reset counter..

It only crash when in standby mode, it never crashes when i am actually using the phone.

Please anyone, can help me with this one?

I have tried disconnecting the flex cable for the front camera, but still got the crash.

Do i need to put a whole new flex cable before this works?

Thank you!

Edited by: Mimers ( )

You should only have to disconnect it and then for it to work. If it's only crashing in standby then something else must be wrong with the phone. Is the NAND error message the same or are you able to provide photos?

Patrick Lee,

0

Jonny
215

ifixit saved my butt...again! Except this was with a 5C. Thnx for this great post! Great old thread bump for sure.

0

Brendan Hsu
1

From my experience, it has been a broken/ripped power button flex cable. This has happened to me twice and I replaced it both times - fixing the issue.

0

Tjalling
1

Dude, great fix! you're the man. Big up from Holland, saved my day (and money).

0

jos
1

Thanks for all these posts! I'm not a technician so this helps to have it explained very detailed. Question to all; I'm trying to save money, so if it is one of these cables relating to the front camera, can I just unplug it and not have a front camera? Will this allow my phone to boot up? I have an Iphone 5. Thanks!

You will lose use of the proximity sensor, front camera, and other small minor features.

Jonny,

0

Tony
1

This fixed my iPhone 5s too. I kept getting the red screen of death I took the camera flex and now my phone Is working perfectly.

0

Justin
1

I had been struggling with this issue for the better part of 3 weeks until I finally found a solution. I haven't seen it mentioned here -

-In my case, my problem had started with the NAND error after putting a new screen on.

-Put the old cracked screen on and it seemed to work.

-After unplugging and plugging the new screen in a bunch of times AND doing the restore, it seemed to boot correctly.

-Once in a while the phone would shut down and boot back to the NAND error again, and after about 20 resets it would somehow 'luckily' boot correctly.

-After about 2 more weeks, it stopped ever booting correctly and booted only to the NAND screen ever no matter what I did.

-I tried to do the DFU Mode / Restore thing again since that had worked once before.

-Still no dice.

-I READ ON THE GSM FORUM ABOUT THE COMPASS IC which is SUPER CLOSE to where the Front Camera Flex Cable plugs in. A user said just to remove it. I have no soldering experience so I simply pried it off with a metal clip.

-Voila, finally got passed the -4013 error in the Restore screen, and now I have a functional phone again, probably without a compass feature, but I have been trying to make this phone last as I am still under contract for a couple more months.

It makes sense to me that possibly people are damaging this tiny sensitive chip when swapping screens, and that is causing the hardware check to fail upon boot. The only thing that has changed in my phone's functionality now is that the compass app doesn't work. Maps, etc. still function fine.

I'm guessing I have the same problem.. I tried the ff camera and sensor and no luck

alexgonzalez53,

0

Txomin Arambarri
1

The best way to repair your troubles is opening over your iPhone,and remove your battery connection for few seconds wait a little bit and reconnect your battery and your screen afterwards and Voila!! you should be all set...Any questions my name is Barri.

I'm a technician with many experience,I have same issue with iPad 3,what can I do to solve the problem,which camera do I remove to solve it,many thanks

Nelson,

0

Donald Eastwood
1

Cracking post!!! Managed to fix an iPhone 5 I had in for repair when I got this garbage on the screen. Did as suggested and phone fully restored! Great.

0

Larry Fostano
1

I have read many a post on this subject, I would say to anyone trying to make this repair and have little to no experience on electronics or working on extremely small electrical connections would be to spend a few more dollars.if you purchase a new Digitizer for your phone because you smashed the screen purchase one as complete as possible,one that all you need to do is swap assembly and you should be ok.Else send it out and have a qualified technician do your repair for you.If you stop and think about it you have a pretty hefty investment sitting on your work bench,is it worth the bucks you save attempting to make your own repair? I have done a few of these myself and if you have steady hands ,take your time ,be patient you will more than likely fix your phone.Don't pay attention to detail and procedure and you will put it together wrong cause more damage than you started with. These phones are very specific,for the most part the screws are so small and hard to put back in and in the correct order .In the case of the digitizer cover,4 screws,I believe only 2 are the same length while the other 2 are different lengths,put them in the wrong order and chance runing your phone.get help when you need it,be careful not to loose these screws or install them wrong,easy to do for sure.

0

steve
1

had same problem with nand error offset. read your post order the new proximity sensor on the way. but this is what i try. I have 3 iphone 5. I took the whole lcd assembly from one phone and replace it and it does not work. So Im assuming its not that proximity sensor problems. am I right?

Edited by: steve ( )

My guess is, yes your correct. I too have an iPhone 5c that is displaying the Nand flash offset error, I even used the original broken screen (carefully as !&&*) to test this as the broken screen no longer had the camera/proximity sensor on it, but alas didn't work. My guess is the same as yours, something else is wrong :(, most likely the compass IC (Justins suggestion - Above) has gone 'bust', which is the most likely culprit, and to be honest :), I'm not playing with IC's ;), the other is, not my phone :(. If it was, I might've been a little more inclined to attempt something, but as it's not, no way am I going to 'play' with that sort of thing ;). Cheers, and hope this helps other users with the same issue. Just wish there was a way to fix this issue with the IC without having to remove or 'break' it.

dsxpc,

0

interstone696
1

Hey guys, Im the owner of a cell repair shop in the US and I'm having the same issue. I have been in the field for over 8 years and fixed thousands of phones but this one if really throwing me for a loop. I have actually fixed a few before with a proximity sensor flex but, this one is different. First I just tried a soft reset> no luck (of course, i'm aware it MOST LIKELY wouldn't fix but its worth a shot). Next tried booting with the proximity flex not plugged in> still the same thing> Then, replaced the proximity sensor/front camera flex> tried to boot> Same thing.. Tried 2more NEW prox. sensors and still no luck. Tried a new screen assembly with new flex> same thing. At this point, I know this SHOULD fix the phone but, it's not doing it. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

How much would it cost for a repair. I tried a new sensor but no luck

alexgonzalez53,