A laser printer series by HP for home and office use. The P2015 series is known to have serious formatter board issues. Bad formatter boards are a very common failure for the P2015.

Why does my HP Laserjet P2015dn printer not print?

When I go to print via my HP P2015dn I get the message "printer is offline." I've reset the printer preferences several times and my printer then works — but only once! Then it again gives me the "printer is offline." My connection is a USB printer cable.

The P2015 is known to have formatter board issues. In most cases where the printer does not respond, it's a faulty formatter board. It isn't uncommon to see a P2015 with a faulty formatter board, especially as the printer ages. I think it's probably going to be a bad formatter board.

You can certainly try and do the driver and USB fix, but more often then not it's caused by a failed formatter board.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is you can attempt to reflow the formatter board and revive the printer, but the problem is this is a total gamble and usually comes back. The bad news is all of these formatter boards fail at some point, so it isn't worth replacing.

You should use something like a throwaway toaster oven you plan to never use to cook food. The boards are new enough to be RoHS but you still do not want to breathe the chemicals in the board or eat them.

The reflow fix works for all of the models. However, the cables do vary per model. The base model has the least amount of cables. The higher the model and features, the more cables you will find in the printer.

If you reflow the board, here's how to do it:

• 1: Remove the formatter board. The board is on the side where the USB and Ethernet (if on your model) is.
  • 2: For good measure,take pictures of the wiring. Note: The P2015 and P2015 d series models have different wiring schemes due to the duplexer add-on.
  • 3: Remove the formatter board screws and cabling. You will see about 4-5 screws holding it in. If you are not sure you can remember where each screw went, lay them how they came out of the printer.
  • 4: Find a way to lift the board in the oven. You can do this with anything, but it needs to be 100% flat for this to work correctly.
  • 5: Put liquid flux under ALL of the BGA chips. This will ensure the reflow works correctly. Make sure to use no-clean flux or ultrasonic the formatter board after baking it.
  • 6: Preheat the oven at 450 for 5 minutes. Put the board in until the solder is molten, then remove it. This will probably take around 5-8 minutes. Note: Bumping the formatter board will ruin it.
  • 7: Clean the oven good, or leave the mess be depending on if my advice on a throwaway oven was heeded.
  • 8: Put the board in the printer after cooling for 8-12 hours. See if this fixed the problem.
  • 9: Optional: Get a small heatsink and thermal Epoxy if you want to keep the chips on the board cooler. This will prolong the life of the reflow.

Note: This procedure will likely only save the printer TEMPORARILY. It will probably fail the same way in short order again.

Most Helpful Answer

Have you updated the print drivers? Here's a link to the current drivers HP P2015dn Printer

Try using a new USB cable. if this doesn't work, the problem is with the formatter board. If this is the case, ask a technician for help on how to fix this issue.

George will be eternally grateful.