Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

Microwave runs as soon as door is opened.

Model# JVM1740DM1WW I think the issue is in the interlocking door switch. Is there a way to check what each switch(there are open/closed/2 terminal/monitor,etc.) does? I do not have a voltage meter, and would prefer not to have to check each switch with one. I can't afford the service/repair fees,so need to repair it myself. Thanks,Ann

You can get a free voltage meter at harbor freight tools. Coupon for free meters are in the sunday paper frequently!

Most Helpful Answer

Ann, sorry but you will need a multimeter to check. also, please remember that microwaves can carry some pretty deadly current. So if you have never worked on way, I would opt out of it. Try to either find somebody that can fix it for you, or save up for a new one.

The door is not faulty (really, there are no active components on it *to* go bad - the door just has two injection-molded plastic switches which perform as actuators to engage/disengage switches-- the only way they'd "go bad" is if they snapped off).

There are three switches- the primary, secondary, and interlock - and one of them has gone bad. You can use the diode mode on a standard multimeter to test which one it is. For my GE XL1800 it was the Omron V-15-2C26-K which I picked up from Mouser for 2.50$. This seems to be the common component that fails on most models. (The failure mode is the switch's spring steel retainer keeping it NO/NC loses it's elasticity for those who are curious). If you don't have a DMM to test the relay, $2.50 from Mouser/Digikey/whatever is a gamble I'd be willing to take.

http://www.microtechfactoryservice.com/s... seems to have more information. I didn't read through it but it had "discharge caps" in their preamble so the rest of the page likely has relevant safety precautions.

You have a faulty door, it will need to be tested and replaced, there are no microwaves coming from the machine when the door is open and it is running. If you do not find the solution then you can replace your model.

One warning is : DO NOT operate the oven with the door open!

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/micr...

Thank you

Is it safe to use microwave when turntable starts when opening door

Ann, I don't know if this will work for you, but we had the same problem. We put in a glass of water, turned on the unit for one minute, but hit the "cancel" button before the time ran out. That took care of it, at least for now. Don't know yet if it's a permanent solution.

Ann will be eternally grateful.