My laptop has a cooling issue

For the past year or so my laptop has developed a cooling issue. It gets very hot and the fan is noisy. This is more noticeable when running Windows than Linux (it's a dual boot) and when running demaning software, but that's obvious I guess. I recently changed the harddrive and tried to clean it when I had already opened it up, but I found it hard to actually access the CPU, which I imagine is what is causing the problem. The hot spot is mainly the bottom left corner, under my left hand. I've been considering opening it up again and see if I can clean it again, but it really didn't have much effect. I've also thought about cooling paste, but since I couldn't really figure out how to access the CPU that seems difficult. Google has not been helpful so far.

Sannfog, get the service manual from here, disassemble your laptop according to the manual. Clean all the air intake vents, and since your fan is noisy, replace the fan. clean the heatsink and apply new thermal paste. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thank you. This sounds like a project for the weekend :)

Sounds like a plan:-) Best of luck to you.

Sannfog will be eternally grateful.