2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

Power switches off when power ribbon cable attached

My mac has been turning off for ages without reason and it always seems to be related to the pressure underneath or being moved. I have taken the bottom off the unit and the ribbon cable that runs along the back right fan isn't connected properly.

It now appears my laptop will turn on and stay on as long as I keep it disconnected, as soon as I plug it in or get it connected at all the mac won't come on.. Surely this is not right? I thought it would be the other way around?

Sounds like a cracked battery. I had a MacBookAir with an almost invisible crack in the battery caused by someone placing something on top of my case in an overhead storage bin. It acted all sorts of strange ways, powering off, sometimes not wanting to power on, powering on but "no battery detected".

I finally opened the unit, disconnected the battery and picked it up...as I did I saw a crack appear across the case of the battery (it was not visible until I held the battery by one side/corner).

Replacing the battery solved all the issues.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Chris will be eternally grateful.