The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

PS3 fan not working

Hi

I i have repaired sever PS3's over the past month but i have not encountered something like this.

The PS3 (fat) fan is not spinning. The result being that the PS3 boots with graphics and sound for a few seconds or 1 minute max before shutting down automatically, like its overheating.

I have replaced the fan unit, replaced the PSU, re-flowed Motherboard and replaced all thermal material components. Still the problem persists.

It seems like the fan is not getting power from the motherboard even though there seems to be no damage.

Does anyone have a solution apart from replacing the motherboard?

Background notes:

- PS3 suffered YLOD

- Sent in for repair elsewhere previously - probably re-flowed

- When returned from repair fan runs at max from start up.

- PS3 suffers second YLOD and fan stops working.

Garron, it is possible that the thermal sensor in the PS3's got damaged during the reflow. Check the fan connector and see if you get any power to it.

==Update==

Fan Connector

Fan Control Circuit

IC4002 location

Hope this helps, good luck.

Do you have a info/guide on fixing either of those? A Google search turns up nothing useful.

Not really a guide, but if you check the schematic, there are three contacts on the connector. 1 is the PWM which connects to IC4002 (CXR7131120-203GB-TL) , 2 is Ground and 3 is +12V. PWM is getting the signal from the processor at port G and controls the speed of the Fan. I attached an image of where the control processor is and some of the schematic. Your board layout may differ somewhat, but should be about the same setup. I think to check the PWM function, you would have to have an oscilloscope since it is a square wave;-) I will add the images as an update to my original answer.

Thanks! This is exactly what i'm looking for to be able to make a start.

Really appreciate the assistance.

Thank you for accepting my answer. Best of luck to you.

Re solder the connection terminals from the fan to the mb

Garron will be eternally grateful.