1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

Water spill - battery is not charging but everything else works fine

Hi everyone,

Hope someone here can help with my situation as described below and thanks in advance.

I spilled almost a cup of water on my macbook air last Saturday. I tried to turn it off immediately but it wouldn't turn off and the fan was on high speed for about 5 mins until it turned itself off.

I put it in a rice bag for 2 days and then put it in a room with heater on for a few more days since we haven't had any sunlight this week (really bad timing). I just turned it on today. Everything - display, fan, temperature, keybaord backlit, speakers - is working perfectly fine except the battery. The light on the charger is orange but the battery menu says:

Condition: Replace Now

Battery is Not Charging

Power Source: Power Adapter

I also ran Coconut battery app and it read:

+ Battery Charge

Current charge: 0 mAh

Max charge: 0 mAh

-9.223392e+ 18% (in the progress bar)

+ Battery capacity

Current capacity: 0 mAh

Design capacity: 6700 mAh

0% (in the progress bar)

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's the problem with the battery itself, the logic board or something else. I don't want to buy a replacement battery only to find it is something completely different.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Hi Phalkun,

I have the same problem. I am just wondering what happened after you opened and cleaned up your computer? Please let me know.

Did you replace the battery yourself? Or had it replaced by an Apple tech? :)

I bought tools and a battery from ifixit and replaced the battery by myself. it's really easy. Just follow the instruction on the site.

I meant to update this. My computer is working fine now after replacing the battery :)

I know of no "shade tree mechanics" test for battery, other than placing it in a similar unit and see how it acts... which could damage the other unit. Compare the price of a new battery, or a new DC-IO board. to having Apple or someone else diagnose your problem - Consider the economics of using the money required to purchase a replacement IO board, or battery,- selling the laptop as is, or parting it out, and buying a replacement laptop .

Only you know what your budget and time restraints allow.

Good Luck,

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Hi @machead3, thanks a lot of your response. We don't have an apple shop here in new zealand tho we have a few authorized shops for Apple. I'm quite reluctant to go there since, from what I heard, they tend to replace the logic boards, which I can't afford.

I'm still waiting for screw drivers from ifixit. I think I'll open it up and dry it properly before going with other options. I just hope it's not a logic problem.

Again, thanks a lot :)

I have the same issue. You can change your battery and try again. You can replace the battery if it is the battery issue.

did you find a solution to your battery problem ?

I have your same problem!

phalkunz will be eternally grateful.