1.83 GHz Core Duo or 1.83, 2, or 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo A1208 (EMC 2104/2110/2114/2124)

I have an Error message 4MOT/1/40000003:HDD

I have been experiencing multiple crashes and freezes. I ran the AHT and came up with this error message: 4MOT/1/40000003:HDD. I would like to diagnose and fix myself. I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thanks!!

Thanks for your help. I ran a temp. monitor app and it appears that all my temps are in range (<50' C) so I am guessing my fan is ok. I ordered a new internal hard drive yesterday which will hopefully fix the problem. I will be installing myself-- thanks to this wonderful website/forum. Thanks again and any advice is welcomed here...

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

Sound like your hard drive is failing. I would back it up if you can and then replace it. This machine also had a lot of bad capacitor problems so examine the 24 cans for swelling and/or corrosion.

Most Helpful Answer

To start with you should make a full back up of anything important before doing anything else.

Your drive has a corruption so you'll need to boot your system on an external HD or USB thumb drive that has a working system. Then you can run Disk Utility to fix the drive. Depending on what you encounter you may need to repartition & format the entire drive. I would strongly recommend running the disk test services so any bad blocks are isolated out.

As an option you might think about getting a more comprehensive disk utility like Drive Genius as it also can defragment your drive as well (a common cause of system slow down).

Did installing a New Drive Fix the issue?

Connor will be eternally grateful.