0

Jane
1

Dropped in water, cuts on, screen unresponsive to touch

I work in a special needs classroom where we u iPads regularly. I also on the side do apple product repairs. But a parent brought this ipad to me that their child had dropped in their filled sink. The iPad 3 comes on though it will not respond to any touch. It will hard reset,obviously, but still nothing. I hate to take it apart before getting some ideas and opinions on what's wrong.

Edited by: mayer ( )

1

Jane, you will have to take it completely apart. Since it got submerged, it needs a proper cleaning, otherwise it will for sure die of corrosion damage later on. Disassemble it, and clean every part with a high grade isopropyl alcohol, 90%+ preferably. Use a soft brush to clean every nook and cranny of the board, do not forget the connectors and cable ends. Check for any missing or charred looking parts. Take your time with the visual inspection. After that, replace the battery, this is to prevent failure later on. Reassemble your iPad and see what you got. Best case scenario is a broken digitizer, worst case is a shortened digitizer IC and other SMD component. Hope this helps, good luck.

0

Jackintosh11

Replace the glass and digitizer.

iPad 3rd Gen Front Panel Digitizer Assembly

Front panel assembly for the iPad, 3rd Generation. Assembly includes the OEM glass touch panel (digitizer), home button, camera bezel, and adhesive already installed. Use this part to replace a cracked, broken, or shattered iPad screen. Compatible with al — 50+ available at 94.95 each.