MacBook Pro with flickering or dim mag-safe LED. Dead mag-safe board?
I've received an old MacBook Pro 17" (A1297 model) with an i5 @ 2,54 GHz and the GT330M.
The problem with this MacBook is that it most of the time will not power on and when it does, it will power off as soon as it starts to boot (that is, when the circle swish should start spinning).
My symptoms are:
- When connecting the magsafe adapter, the Green LED is very dimly lit, barely visible. At this point the MacBook cannot be powered on and the battery will not charge.
- Sometimes, the magsafe LED lits up Green and starts flickering, these are fractions of a second and continuously goes on like that. What I noticed was the ticking sound coming from the magsafe board inside the MacBook along with the flickering. At this point it will not power on and the battery will not charge.
- And 1 out of 10 times it will power on by itself (or after pressing the power button if the mag-safe LED is just "normally" lit) and the battery will charge, but from there the MacBook will not boot (only to AHT).
What I've done so far:
- Ran the AHT diagnostics, even the extended one, that is showing no problems with the logic board etc.
- Reset SMC
- Reset NVRAM
When booting with one of these options, I get the circle, but after a while powers off as well:
- Trying to boot in Verbose mode
- Trying to boot in Single User mode
- Trying to boot in Safe mode
Regarding the hardware, I've tried:
- Trying different HDD's and even SSD's
- Trying different RAM banks
- Trying different magsafe adapters
From what I think (and what a local tech guy at the Apple store told me) this looks like a dead mag-safe board to me, but I want to be sure about this before buying a replacement item. If this is the case what specific item (number) should I buy?
I don't think the Logic Board is dead in this case, I can get the gray screen with apple logo, USB is working and the fans seem to be running fine. It also detects boot volumes (with Option key pressed) fine.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Is this a good question?