0

Brett Daniels
1

Why does my tablet respond to S-Pen but not my fingers?

I just finished repairing one problem I had, where the screen gets all discolored. Once I closed it up and started it, it would not respond to my touch, nothing. I tried the S-Pen and it worked fine. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I reopened it and check the ribbon connections, the only one that looks questionable was the central ribbon cable. Now, I don't know much about electronics, but I noticed that on all the other connectors for the ribbon cables, there was a locking switch. I don't think the connection this ribbon cable has one, and I fear that out of ignorance I may have damaged the connector attempting to flip the non-existent locking mechanism. I believe this to be the cable that connects to the front screen (Not the LCD), and is what is used to communicate the touch input. So I think this is where my problem lies. Can someone enlighten me with their perspective on this issue? I think it must be a damaged connector (requiring me to get a replacement motherboard), the ribbon cable isn't fully connected (tried my best), or something else I am not seeing. Hopefully it is fixable, I would hate to have to scrap a tablet just after 5 months of use. Could it possibly be a broken or damaged digitizer? I have dropped it a few times.

Edited by: Brett Daniels ( )

2

Brett Daniels, both situation are a possibility. The connector could fail to properly seat the cable, or it could simply be a digitizer failure. Post an image off your connector on here so we might be able to see any damage. If nothing else, you might be thinking about getting the digitizer replaced. Check on here to see if that is something that you would want to tackle. Hope this helps, good luck.

Alright, I think Ill order a replacement digitizer and give it a shot. For connecting the digitizer's ribbon cable, what is the best teqchique? I found it very hard to get the cable in fully, hard to use tweezers and it felt like abuse, wish it's connector had a locking mechanism like the others. The cost of a new digitizer is around $50, what is the cost of a new motherboard? The digitizer seems liek it would be easier to replace, I feel replacing the motherboard might cause some data loss of some sort.

Brett Daniels,

If you replace the motherboard, you will lose all your data. The data is sorted on the memory which is hardwired via IC to the board. As in price, it is another one of those where the motherboard is hard to find and will most likely be more than a new Note.

k, purchased a new digitizer, once it gets here ill hook it up. Any suggestions for techniques on connecting the digitizer's ribbon cable?

Brett Daniels,

Not really anything other than double jointed, long, skinny fingers and lots of patience ;) use long toothless tweezers to try to get the cable connected.

Alright thanks, just noticed my left speaker is not working, checked the inside and looks like the speaker's ribbon cable is completely broken, is it possible to order a pair of replacement speakers? I couldn't find any just by looking around

Brett Daniels,

1

David
13

Just a thought. This seems rather simple, but there is a function of the tablet that can ignore the fingers while the s pen is nearby. If you tried to touch it with your finger while holding the s pen in the same hand, it would not work with this setting in place.

-David

0

Jenoola
1

I've had this a couple of times now on my Note 8 and loathe to have to factory reset again, have discovered that forcing stop of the application Input Devices worked.

0

Bashar
1

Dear All

The problem is too easy...... just disassemble the back cover of the galaxy note then check all connection "specially the one near to the power plug" it must be fitted to the connection line ten assemble it again it will work "in shaa alla".

thanks

No that's not it. The problem was the digitizer. Better luck next time bud. Was fixed by replacing the broken digitizer.

Brett Daniels,

0

Grobolo Salamanca
1

What I discovered after encountering this issue is that if my folio cover is folded such that the magnetic edge is in contact with the RHS of the tablet I get issues with touch, but not pen input. If I fold it such that the magnetic edge is on the LHS (or not near the RHS) there is no problem. It's obviously got something to do with the sleep wake function with the folio cover.

Yup, that was the problem for me. Thank you much for pointing that out!

Zsa Zsa Rosell,

0

Rancio Elderado
1

My wife's galaxy note had the same problem, nothing else seemed to work until we removed the cover! apparently the same problem that Grobolo was experiencing . Who would've thought. and this after she had been using the same cover, put on the same way, for a long time without problems until she updated it. grrrrrr.

0

danial zulkifli
1

Rancio, you are right!

0

namkla28
1

Yes!I just removed my cover (magnetic) and the problem solved without restart !

0

Drew Frisch
1

What do you mean magnet edge? I am having the same problem on my galaxy note but don't know exactly what the magnet you're talking about is or where.

0

Erckman
1

I removed the cover and it worked

0

Jeanna
1

I'm having the same problem. My screen only works with S Pen. I had water damage and spent $150 with diagnostic testing, 2 speakers, and a power button replaced. One week later now my screen only works with S Pen. Do you think its my digitiser? Is it something I can replaced myself? Not scared to try, but really don't want to pay $85 for diagnostic testing just to find out plus parts. HELP!!!

0

Sean
1

I just changed my screen and digitizer together because of the same issue (water damage). I recommend changing both the screen and digitizer assembly together because just replacing the digitizer can be very tricky. Watch this video for reference

http://youtu.be/A1ntOfJS_1c?list=UUdCZPl...

I bought the screen and digitizer for $185 and it took me a total of 45 mins to 1 hr to replace. Bought the assembly off of ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...

NOTE: I had to re- bend the home button spring clips (on back of main board) on mine and make sure that all the flex cables snapped into the main board because this results in the phone malfunctioning (aka the finger swiping not working on the new screen but S-Pen worked). I had to unclip and reclip the screen cable 3 times before I got it in correct.

TRUST ME IT WASN'T HARD JUST TAKES PATIENCE

0

Jamie
1

Can someone help me? I've had my Galaxy 10.1 2014 edition since August. Zero water damage. Never dropped. It has been very carefully taken care of. It works with my finger for a few minutes then it just doesn't do anything when I touch it. But the pen works. Any ideas?

0

pjm542003
1

my tablet 10.1 galaxy got wine damage everything appearded to work except for the pen? it recognizes it when i put it in the holding slot, but no functions on the screen?

0

reverendmaddison
1

I just want to thank all the contributors on this thread. This morning, I, too, dropped my tablet (onto a carpeted floor) and ended up with a black screen although I could tell it was still working otherwise. I was upset since I've only had it a few weeks and since I bought it used, well... There went my major investment of Christmas money.

But, with a couple of YouTube videos, and all the suggestions I saw here and other forums where people really do try to help each other, I managed to fix it. Getting the back off was a trial, though and nerve-wracking for an only modestly technical person.

The first time round, I got the screen working but couldn't do any finger swipes, and the S-Pen was intermittent. So off came the back again. This time I made SURE the two cables at the very top (including what I presume is the digitizer) were really and truly aligned with the white guidelines next to the sockets. The tolerances are amazingly tight (every millimeter counts).