Need to verify it's the hard drive...
I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive that's failing.
1. Battery was dead, I eventually got it to fully charge.
2. Needed to do a restore. That seemed to work.
3. iPod will not sync.
4. iPod WILL turn on and go to menus.
5. There IS an audible clicking sound from the drives.
6. Low level chkdsk from an XP system hangs at about 63%. This is repeatable (Reboot needed).
I realize this points to the hard drive, but I wanted to make certain that this was not a logic board problem.
Thanks for your help. This site is amazing.
Is this a good question?