Business class netbook introduced by Dell in 2009. The netbook is powered by an Intel Atom N270 processor.

I have a dell latitude 2100 I bought frome my school.

i have tried clearing the bios. it did not work im trying to reset for my own peruses.

Tell us first what it is doing. what is it showing when you first start up? What does your BIOS show you regarding your hard drive? What OS are you using? Can you log into the OS?

You do not need a new hard drive, just reinstall the OS that you are going to use.

Most Helpful Answer

HDP's are a catch 22 situation. They can be broken, but this is very risky and can damage the drive. While the system uses a 2.5" drive, it can still mess the drive up if you crack it wrong. If you damage the drive, 2.5" replacements will be easy to find. I would recommend going to IT and having them fix it before you crack anything, though.

The password will be encrypted, so you will need to know how to decrypt it. In some cases, the EEPROM is protected against cracking so it may not even work. You can probably find an attack point, but depending on the drive this is not always there. It will need to be at POST because the HDP will stop it from booting until you enter the password. Professional password removal is not worth it for the drive in this case.

If you do this is ultimately up to you. I am just warning you that the risk with this is very high, and probably is not worth it due to the fact it's a used drive that's 3-5 years old that may fail sooner rather then later.

For all you know, it could be a Windows password. Boot off of a Linux ISO and see if it still asks. If it does, it's a HDP or BIOS password. BIOS passwords are a little difficult to clear, but can be done. I would recommend going to the school for them to do it but if they don't have it you can short the ATMEL chip or use a BIOS password generator for the master password.

The next thing you want to do is reload Windows. School images are bloated and full of their protection SW and student Limited accounts; blowing it away is easier then recovering it. Use a program like DBAN and do a quick wipe. This will take a few hours, but once you do this you can reload Windows, or another OS of your choice.

so i need to get a new hard drive.

I must have missed the "bricked" BIOS

I also have the similar problem. I have also looked for something about the solution, until one day my bro introduces an article about it, I think it is helpful to me. Now I share the page with you: http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/artic...

IAM trying to reset administrator password please help me

austin will be eternally grateful.