iPad 4 Wi-Fi

Fourth generation of iPad, released November 2, 2012, available in 16, 32, or 64 GB models. Model Number A1458

Can I upgrade my ipad4 from 32k to 64k?

Can I upgrade my ssd drive from 32 to 64 on my ipad4?

Tim Lindop, first off the iPad does not have an SSD. Second you are using the wrong values, it should not be "k" but GB if you are referring to storage. The iPad uses NAND flash memory IC BGA's on the logic board. So no, as a DIY'er it's pretty impossible. Of course, if you have the right IC's, the right stencil a BGA rework station, it might be possible. Hope this helps, good luck.

only alternative is to backup the ipad on iTunes and swap to a bigger memory motherboard then just restore onto the new one.

by qpunk

Thanks for the clarity. I was hoping to increase the memory so I can use a video editor that is designed for the Ipad and edits 2.64 files. As an absolute beginner to electronic devices, I am clearly on Shaky ground when it comes to terms. Two questions come to mind 1) is a new motherboard a realistic option? And, 2) what is the difference between a NAND flash memory and an SSD? ( I 'd really like to know.)

by Tim Lindop

Thank you for accepting my answer. A SSD is a Solid State Drive, a hard drive without moving parts (very simplified) It writes data to NAND or DRAM memory, but it is a separate drive and removable, unlike the memory of your iPad which is kind of like "built in" memory, and an integrated part of the logic board. So the SSD may just use the same memory, it just is not part of the actual board. As for realistically changing the logic board, I would think by the time you find one that you are guaranteed will work, replace it without damaging any other part, it may just be more cost effective to replace your current iPad with one that has the desired storage capacity.

by oldturkey03

Check out this teardown. It might be of help. Personal opinion? I don't think you could... But hey, that's me.

Mentioned Items

iPad 4 Wi-Fi Image

iPad 4 Wi-Fi Teardown

by Brittany McCrigler Difficulty: ModerateNo estimate

Galileo, you are absolutely right., Can't replace what it does not even have :-)

by oldturkey03

Tim Lindop will be eternally grateful.