Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Logic Board Upgrade, MBP 13" mid-2010 to MBP 13" mid-2012

Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade the logic board on my MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2010) with the one from the MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2012). Both laptops have the same model number (A1278). By upgrading, I wish to increase the processor speed, maximum RAM, graphics capabilities, thunderbolt and have USB3.0 capabilities.

Essentially I want to put in this:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Logic Board

(although I'd try to find the i7 2.9GHz model)

And remove this:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2010) 2.66 GHz Logic Board

Does anyone know if this upgrade would be possible? Would the new board fit correctly into my old MBP body (screw placement etc)? Will all the other connections will be the same (LCD, Battery, Fan, SuperDrive etc etc) or will I need adapters/converters. If so, it wouldn't be worth it. But If the two boards are directly interchangeable without any serious problems, this could be a nice upgrade and would breathe a few more years of life into my laptop!

Thanks in advance for help!

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2010) 2.66 GHz Logic Board Image
MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Logic Board Image

anyone succeeded doing this ?

Is there anyone who already tried this?

I also have the same question and intention with Chrisbrown.

Thank you

also wondering this ? anyone ? :)

Most Helpful Answer

We get this question alot. You will notice that we spend a lot of time checking 100% compatibility. So for what you're trying to accomplish, the short answer is no.

The long answer though, makes it seem as though it could work.

All of the ports line up, batteries are the same. I would look through our parts list and take note of what parts are not cross compatible. My guess is that most of the issue lies in how the board mounts to the case.

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your answer, and the work you guys do. I had noticed that it was asked a lot, but there never seemed to be any response from people saying if they had done it, and if it had worked.

I assumed if the model number of the boards were the same, they should mount to the case the same way...but never assume anything, right?

I will take a closer look through the parts list and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

I've looked at many pix, but i need to get my hands on a 2012 board to confirm, but from the photos, they are physically the same, all connectors appear to match, mounting locations appear to match, heatsink is different, but fan location i think is the same, ports appear to be the same. I really want to know for sure myself, and if it works, i will definitely be upgrading to a 2.9 i7. I want the USB 3.0, and am sick of the sata issues that the early 2011 model has. maybe ill fix my screen too..... If somebody knows of or has a logic board from a mid 2012 model, fried or not, I will take the plunge and determine once and for all if this swap is possible!!!! Let's make this happen!!!

It will not work. The LCD, Camera and Fan connectors do not line up or are not the same. For more information see...

Replacing logic board with new version?

The replacement year is a little different but it's the same idea.

I can confirm that it is replaceable on the 15" model. The only thing that isn't perfect is the video cable bar that holds it isn't long enough to fold down over the board connection like normal.

what do you mean? the LVDS connector on the logic board? or the cable guide? how did you get around this problem?

The cable fits fine into the LVDS connector on the board, what I meant was the display data cable lock doesn't fully "lock". The following picture shows the "lock" I am terribly describing. It has the attached pull tab. https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig...

chrisbrown1983 will be eternally grateful.