0

Trevor Abbott
11

How much do the individual iPad component weigh?

Some reviewers have reported on the iPad being heavy. I'm interested to know how the individual components contribute to the overall weight. Specifically how much does the aluminium back piece, the battery and the screen weigh?

2

Kyle Wiens

Here's our summary:

• Aluminum back 138 grams
  • Battery 148 grams
  • LCD 153 grams
  • Glass (and frame) 193 grams
  • Speaker: 17 grams
  • Main board: 21 grams
  • Everything else: 27 grams

thanks for this detailed breakdown of weights. it seems not much would be saved if the back was made of magnesium - it would reduce weight by 50g or about 7% of total.

Trevor Abbott,

Beats my answer, but then I didn't have one ;-) +

mayer,

0

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

This will give you the weights of many of the components:

iPad Wi-Fi Teardown

Thanks - but the item I'm most interested in is the Al case and this doesn't seem to be listed. Step 9 says 2 halves 350g each, step 21 says battery 148g, step 28 LCD 153g and glass 193g. I would guess the case is around 200g but I would like to see its actual weight (did I miss it somewhere?). I'm in the magnesium business which explains my interest.

Trevor Abbott,

0

Mainz Geneva
1

Viewing the electronic devices' lifetime/shelf time, in fact Ipad can be greatly weight reduced and also cost by:

• The glass cover can be replaced/made by plexiglass, which only half of density of glass, i.e. 1.18/2.5= 47.2%
  • The AL casing can/should be made of plastics e.g. ABS, PC, PA, or even PP, with texture surface or cover with textile(or leather). which will give another 30 ~40% weight reduction.
  • All these together give at least 130g weight down, which comes down to ~550g!
  • and the final price is also to be down too.
  • But Apple is just greedy.