1

Kimberly Jones
65

Itunes will not recognize iPod

Bought iPod off ebay and it did exactly what seller described: Itunes initially won't recognize it and when it finally does, it asks to restore, so I try and it goes through most of restore until error comes up that iPod is corrupt. I downloaded Itunes 9 to my pc and now Itunes will not recognize it at all. The computer itself finds it but I don't know what to do from there. I tried resetting the iPod and it still does the same thing. It looks to work just fine, menus and all on the device itself. Everything seems to be fine, although I did listen to it and there is a whining noise when I turn the iPod on. I've looked at many of the problems on this website to figure it out and am still not sure if it could be the harddrive or logic board. I tried all this on my pc and mac and same results. I looked at the repair guide for this iPod and figured I'd ask before attempting the hellacious task of opening it. I've already fixed two 5th gen iPods with this site and the results have been super! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and will be well received.

Thanks all,

Edited by: machead3 ( )

It appeared that the software problem was fixed but I still could not get music on it no matter what I did. I finally ended up getting a new hard drive, and it worked. At least it wasn't the logic board. Thanks everyone for the help.

Kimberly Jones,

0

Crisb

as the computer recognizes the iPod, give it a try and copy some large files/folders to the iPod. This is just a test to see, if the hard drive is ok and you can store these files or not, after that you can delete the copied files from the iPod.

By the way, you bought the iPod as "damaged", right?! If yes, everybody can do a simple restore, even the person you bought the iPod from. So i think there is more to do than just a simple restore.

I think that the logic board, the hard drive and/or the hard drive cable is damaged. As the iPod says its corrupt during restore i would guess that it's the hard drive. It could be also the hard drive cable but if that's the error, it should appear earlier.

0

Tom
1

Don't open it yet. The problem is most likely software based. I hav had this problem with iPods before and It has been an issue with the necessary driver for your iPod. Try searching for the original driver for your model of iPod, also uninstall Itunes and try re-installing it after you have attempted the driver change. It has been about a year since my iPod problems were fixed so I can't say for sure that this is the solution but it's one place to look. Good luck!