The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

Washer drains spin cycle, but won't spin.

Washer drains, but won't spin during the spin cycle. I can't manually turn the drum either. It is stuck.

Motor Coupling

If the washer won't spin or agitate the motor coupling might have failed. The motor coupling connects the motor to the washer transmission. It is designed to fail if the washer is overloaded in order to protect both the motor and transmission.

Drive Belt

If the washer won't spin or agitate, check the drive belt. If the belt is broken or if it isn't tight on the pulleys the washer won't spin or agitate properly.

Lid Switch Assembly

If the washer won't spin the lid switch assembly might be defective. This is a very common problem. The lid switch assembly can fail either mechanically or electrically. Test any electrical switches with an Ohm meter for continuity. The switches should have continuity according to their design.

Drive Motor

If the washer won't spin or agitate the drive motor might be defective. This is not common. Check all of the other related parts to this symptom before replacing the motor. If the motor is visibly burned out or physically damaged, replace it.

Stator Assembly

If the washer won't spin or agitate the stator assembly might be burned out. The stator is essentially one half of a motor, it interacts with the tub by creating a strong electro-magnet. If the stator burns out the washer won't spin or agitate. Check the stator for continuity. This part is often misdiagnosed.

Door or Lid Latch Assembly

If the washer won't spin or agitate the lid switch assembly might be defective. This is a very common problem. The lid switch assembly can fail either mechanically or electrically. Test any electrical switches with an Ohm meter for continuity. The switches should have continuity according to their design.

Door Lock Motor and Switch Assembly

If the washer won't spin or agitate the door lock assembly should be checked. The door lock can fail either mechanically or electrically. Test any switches on the door lock with an Ohm meter. The switches should have continuity according to their design.

It is a Kenmore Elite HE 3t and was making alot of noise for a few weeks, but last night it stopped spinning during the spin cycle. I tried to turn the wash tub and it is stuck; so I can't manually spin it. I was told by a repairman over the phone that it was either the spider arm had broken or the bearings (sp?).

@mayer Thanks for listing possibilities it has helped me out in my troubles of narrowing down my troubles

what i need is the plastic plug in from the wiring harness above --someone cut it off and by passed the lid switch ---but will still need help

Ken - For a better explanation, start a new question and give your make a model number. Maybe I can find you correct part.

I am so upset with my washing machine I am thinking a stick of dynamite would fix it just fine!!!

Shannon will be eternally grateful.