Released September 14, 2012, Apple's EarPod headphones are a new revision to their iconic white headphones.

The big mesh in the front not working

Hey guys pleeeeaase help im freaking out here!

As i said the big part in the front of earpiece,mesh or whatever you call it is not working,on both sides L and R.I just have the little mesh on the flat side working and its driving me crazy.The front part that goes into ear just have a very little muffled sound which is so annoying.

please help me there's no apple store in my country and you guys are my only hope.

I have the same problem, but instead only my right earphone doesn't work well. left one seems OK, but on the right one, only as you said the flat side works but the main part that goes into you ear canal is not working. I can still hear the sound from that earphone, but is not loud and it has no bass.

I would love to hear a solution to this. Thanks.

Try sucking on the front mesh....

Yes it is UGLY

but if you will make it work again... and if it dosnt then suck again....

then the sound will come out again!

(Don't judge me)

Guys I know it sounds crazy but what gobeman said it is true because I had the same problem and I tried it and it works. I was like wtf is happening it works

Holy crap, this worked, thank the genius that discovered this. I mean it thanks.

Sucking on it did work. Lmfao unbelievable. Thanks!

This is a covered issue by Apple, please give me your country: http://www.apple.com/support/headphones/...

Thank you so much dear Mayer for your answer.I wish i could just simply go to the apple store and have my iphone 5's earpods changed,but i simply can not.And dear Brian,I hope you go and have yours changed and enjoy it on behalf of me too my friend!

And i'm from iran BTW.

There doesn't seem to be an Apple presence in Iran. But consider yourself surrounded by Apple. Your neighbors have them in Saudi Arabia: www.apple.com/sa/support/, Turkey www.apple.com/tr/support/, Pakistan www.apple.com/asia/support/ and Israel www.apple.com/il/support/

Yeah you know it's not that easy to just go to other countries...And of course,if it was,trust me it would cost way more than a 29$ earpod!...Pooff even pakistan has apple store! :(

Nop. We don't Apple Store in PAKISTAN and it sucks. We have several importers but even then, no iPhone support.

Most Helpful Answer

I know this is a weird advice, but put the mesh that doesn't work in tour mouth and gently suck air with it.

This worked!!! I just bought earpods and the left one stopped worki g after 2 hours! Just suck the mesh until you can get air out of it

Holy crap this worked for me! Don't know how you figured this one out but thank you!

Thank you so much it worked and put me out of my misery!!! Thumbs up!!!

holy crap i wouldnt believe it until it worked! haha awesome trick

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Jackson, hope you are handy when it comes to repairing really small parts.:-) You might want to take a look at the teardown of the headphones on here Apple EarPods Teardown The mesh really only covers the vent. Use a multimeter and check for continuity through your cable to the drivers (speakers) to make sure that you do not have a broken line somewhere. It might also help to post the model number of your EarPods.

Thanks,But i'm a civil engineering student sooo,no i'm not good at any electronic stuff repairing :(

P.S I thought it's from the remote,so i tried to open it up and see what's going on in there,so i opened the cover (from the side with buttons) and i saw a lot of electronic stuff in there and i freaked out! So i just tried to put the cover back there and guess what?! I can't! It won't stay put! I think i broke sth in there...And i think i must involve glue now :(

Jackson, for now, don't glue it. Wait till you can get it apart further to test it. Did you look at the guide for the teardown. It is not really that difficult :-) just very small.

You know why i freaked out when i opened the cover? I tought,if the both sides of earpods not working,and the remote is on the right side and theres nothing to do with the left side,so it's not the remote that is the problem itself.If the remote is the problem so it must be just the right side that is'nt working.so i thought the more i poke it,the more i ruin it,and i did of course! the cover is broken now!

The problem must be from the splitter where L and R wires split up or from beneath it,wires,the headphone jack or sth i don't know.

I just carefully removed both meshes altogether - sounds great again. Yeah, eventually the stuff will cover the diaphragm itself, but for now it's amazing!

Another great trick which I only discovered tonight is to soak the difficult earbud in 90% concentrated rubbing alcohol for several minutes (the longer the better). First I tried gently brushing the mesh within the bud as I learned here. That proved only somewhat beneficial in terms of removing some of the surface wax. I then tested the bud but it was virtually unimproved. Next I tried taking a Q-Tip dabbed in 90% rubbing alcohol. That removed even more wax as noticed by the Q-Tip swab itself and by the waxy residue that accumulated around the inner edges of the bud but again, there was only a slight improvement. After that I tried dabbing the toothbrush head in 90% rubbing alcohol and vigorously scrubbing the bud. Again, that was only a minor improvement. The power of deductive reasoning told me that alcohol is clearly needed but the question as to the method needed to remove the ultra thin layer of wax that had accumulated deep within the mess itself remained. Since I have four pairs of Apple buds, two of which work perfectly, I had nothing to lose so I soaked the problem right ear bud in alcohol. The exact process I used is simply. First, get a VERY shallow saucer or other dish that will enable you to ONLY soak the tip of the bud where the mesh is soaking but only the mesh. In my case I lucked out in that my ex-wife bought tiny little square saucers with the initial of my last name etched on the inside bottom. The dish was PERFECT because it was not only shallow and square but was very small (about 3.5 - 4 inches square). Also, the dish was mostly flat however the edges of the dish were raised slightly and sculpted thereby creating a perfect place for the cord to rest which allowed me to perfectly position the bud into the alcohol (i.e. a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the dish). As a result, and the important thing to achieve, is that only the immediate mesh was soaking and not the entire earbud. After about 20 minutes of soak time I removed the bud from the dish then vigorously shook the earbud using a downward flicking motion similar to what you'd do if trying to force the mercury in a non-digital thermometer to the bottom. By using said motion it forces any remaining alcohol out and avoids contact with the functioning parts within the bud. It should be noted that it's best to use 90% concentration rubbing alcohol or higher because isopropyl alcohol evaporates almost instantly and, as such, should any alcohol run down into the functional components of the bud it will not cause any damage. But all that said, the ultimate solution that returned my earbuds to new condition was the blowing/sucking method.

Just blow threw the rear mesh and cover the rest the holes

4.3 years later and this (one or a combination of the above answers) is still the solution. Thanks!

Jackson will be eternally grateful.