The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

Determine cause of yellow light of doom

I have a 60GB launch system PS3 with a Yellow Light of Doom.

I have been told that the YLOD is a 'generic hardware failure', and that the cause, while usually, is a problem with the motherboard, it can also be caused by the power supply burning out.

Is there any way to determine which problem is causing the failure, or will I simply have to figure it out due to process of elimination?

You will simply have to figure out through process of elimination. Generally what one would do is repair the motherboard first. This is usually the cause of over heating. The CAREFUL re-application and proper way of adding thermal paste should be taken seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D...

The second culprit would be to replace your power supply unit, which is quite the hassel.

Ive repaired 4 ps3's with ylod and some were a really nasty job.

Stewart will be eternally grateful.